Database Snapshots - Enterprise Only?????

• All

Three months ago, I did some research on which SQL Server 2005 version to purchase.  I used the Microsoft comparison chart  http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/features/compare-features.mspx found on the MS website and decided to go with the Standard edition because it supported mirroring, large memory allocation and we have mostly departmental applications.

One of the Key 2005 features that I pitched to management was Mirroring and Database Snapshots.  

I just setup a small system, tested the mirror and then tried to setup a snapshot of the mirror for close to real time reporting only to get the message

Msg 1844, Level 16, State 1, Line 2

Database Snapshot is not supported on Standard Edition.

I feal ripped off.   There is no way that I can get each department to pony up the 25K for enterprise edition! Not to mention that an enterprise upgrade it would kill my IT budget to outfit the developers or even just my development servers. 

And just a not for Microsoft no where in the comparison chart does it say that snapshots are limmited to the Enterprise edition.

Anyone else run into the problem?

Eric 

• Look at your link again, first find a reference to mirroring, then try to find a reference to snapshots.

They are different things.

• Hi Eric,

It's true that Database Snapshots are only available in Enterprise edition. I'll have someone look at the feature comparison sheet and make sure it's clear. I can say the sheet does not state that it's part of Standard edition. The product guide clearly states it's only part of Enterprise edition: http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/overview/productguide.mspx

Dan

• I am not sure about this discrepancy, but there are issues, errors, and discrepancies in MS docs. Example below.

The BOL from April 06 shows no processor limit for standard edition. But the MS site http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/features/compare-features.mspx still shows a limit of 4 processors.  This has been resolved with July BOL.

From BOL:

Maximum Number of Processors Supported by the Editions of SQL Server 2005

See Also  

The following table specifies the maximum number of processors supported by each edition of SQL Server 2005.

SQL Server 2005 edition

Number of processors supported (32-bit)

Number of processors supported (64-bit)

Enterprise Edition

OS maximum1

OS maximum1

Developer Edition

OS maximum1

OS maximum1

Standard Edition

OS maximum1

OS maximum1

Workgroup Edition

N/A2

SQL Server Express Edition

N/A2

Evaluation Edition

OS maximum1

OS maximum1

1These editions of SQL Server 2005 support the maximum number of processors supported by the operating system.

• This is the best source for comparing features between editions: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143761.aspx

• All of this is of little comfort for Eric.  He's screwed.

Perhaps he can setup a snapshot using replication, vs. the new feature called "snapshot" in 2005.  Sounds like this would meet his requirement for his users.  I'm not sure I would have even LOOKED to see if snapshots were part of standard edition.

I feel your pain Eric.

Thank-you,
    David Russell
    Any Cloud, Any Database, Oracle since 1982

• Well....  Database Snapshots are only in Enterprise Edition as pointed out earlier.  However, the technology actually exists in all editions, but it is only exposed for end-user use in Enterprise.  What am I talking about?  Well, the DBCC CHECK* commands actually use the DB Snapshot technology to help cut down blocking. This is even in Express Edition!

BTW, if you upgrade to 2005 but keep in "80" compatibility mode, you immediately get the benefit of this new technology when using the DBCC CHECK* commands.

One last note, I am not sure what the technology in Oracle is called that is similar to the Database Snapshot, but I'll bet you that it costs extra.  SQL Server has really grown up with this release and can compete nicely against Oracle and DB2. 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply