Database Snapshot

• Following link from Microsoft doesn't give details about data center edition. but it does confirm that no other (other then enterprise edition) has database snapshot feature.

http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/editions-compare.aspx%5B/url%5D

Cheers

• Some of these questions really grate my teeth! This one - I have only ever used snapshots in Enterprise. When looking up the syntax an age ago it stated "Only available in Enterprise". I answer that and find out its in DataCentre. Some MS documentation says yes (official sheet) but the original docs I referred too still say just Enterprise! ANNOYING.

• Shark Energy (7/18/2011)

Some of these questions really grate my teeth! This one - I have only ever used snapshots in Enterprise. When looking up the syntax an age ago it stated "Only available in Enterprise". I answer that and find out its in DataCentre. Some MS documentation says yes (official sheet) but the original docs I referred too still say just Enterprise! ANNOYING.

Hopefully you learned something then.

• Yep. I learned - "Don't trust what you read on Microsoft's very own website" and "If you read something on microsoft's website - don't take it for granted - track down every single last article on the same subject on the same website and then decide which one you take as the truth - unless you have all the time in the world because you are somehow not busy in your role of DBA to test every last thing they say to see if its true".

๐Ÿ˜›

• Steve, the wrong answer has been changed on this question, but points have not been awarded back.

Kwex.

• I detect missing points...boy, are my teeth sore from all that grating! ๐Ÿ˜€

• My apologies. I'm not sure if this was submitted with the wrong boxes marked, or I made a mistake, but we've corrected it.

Points have been awarded back and thanks for a few humorous comments ๐Ÿ™‚

• Thanks Steve! ๐Ÿ™‚

• "Database snapshots, introduced in SQL Server 2005, are available only in the Enterprise editions of SQL Server 2005, SQL Server 2008, and SQL Server 2008 R2." from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190677.aspx ... Based on both the question and the voluminous replies, I'm assuming that this quote is just incorrect. Is that a good assumption?

• Enterprise and above. Most of those articles were written before Data Center edition was available and haven't been updated to state that.

Editions usually follow a hierarchy, so Data Center includes everything in Enterprise.

The replies to this question were because it was originally marked as Standard and Enterprise, not EE and DC.

• Thanks for the response!

• Steve,thank you for the clarification.

โ€œWhen I hear somebody sigh, โ€˜Life is hard,โ€™ I am always tempted to ask, โ€˜Compared to what?โ€™โ€ - Sydney Harris

• Not that losing a point is fun, but the image I garnered from the guy throwing the brick through his screen sure caught my attention.

Jamie

Viewing 13 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply