database size is exceeding drive size

• Hi,

I have my sql server installed in C drive(160GB) and my database files(mdf and ldf) are stored in D drive(40GB). Now my D drive is not having any free space. I deleted all other files in D drive.

Only mdf and ldf files are left. What to do? Cant access my database.

• add extra drive ?

* Noel

• Temporary solution (worst one too)--Add files to the database and place those new files on C drive(assuming its not a clustered environment) and in the meanwhile get new drive as noel suggested and move database C drive files to the new one(using detach/attach or..other methods)once new is available.

MJ

• How big are your .mdf and .ldf files? Is the database in full recovery mode? If so, are you performing transaction log backups with some regularity to keep the log file size to a minimum? Can you archive any data? As suggested, add disk or additional data files if my suggestions don't work for you. And, if this is a production machine, you really should have an alert system letting you know when a threshold (whatever that is for you) for remaining disk has been reached. I'm notified from the server if free disk remaining is less thant 20%. This allwos, hopefully, plenty of time to take appropriate action.

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• Hi all,

thanks for the replies.

If I add extra drive, how can I split data files to share D drive and new drive?

Even I have compressed database or any other, at some instant we will encounter the same situation in future. What is the best solution in this situation without stopping the server?

I dont like my users to face any inconvenience due to sql server restart.

• Under Path in front of new file (right click database-->Properties-->Files) just specify the new drive path. For example if you ant to place database mdf file in new drive say N then specify N:\Filename.mdf in path box....

MJ

• a2zwd (9/4/2008)

Hi,

I have my sql server installed in C drive(160GB) and my database files(mdf and ldf) are stored in D drive(40GB). Now my D drive is not having any free space. I deleted all other files in D drive.

Only mdf and ldf files are left. What to do? Cant access my database.

whats worrying is how did you end up with a 160GB C drive and ony 40GB D drive. Are they on separate physical disks\arrays or logical drives on the same physical disks?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply