Database server running out of memory

• So what is better do to then.

If you cannot update resources and have 3 versions of a DB on one machine.

Do you just have 3 separate versions of the DB hosted in one SQL instance.

Or

Do you have 3 instances of SQL server and a copy of the DB on each instance.

Just at a glance if your running out of memory and that is the issue then i would probably have the 3DB's on one instance. Thats just my take on it, I am interested to hear what the pros have to say.

• SeanBarberPro (2/5/2010)

If you cannot update resources and have 3 versions of a DB on one machine.

- what do you mean with update ? or was it upgrade ? do you mean extra ram is no option ?

- i would check if it's sql server which is causing your memory problem. i haven't seen anything mentioning about this. did you actually see what was "gobbling" up your memory ?

- if it was sql server, did you actually check what queries where run ?

- did you limit sql server ram usage ? i had dev boxes with swapping issues until i put a limit to sql server's ram usage and the machine performed well again.

4 STG/UAT doesn't say anything to me so i cant take this into the weightscale

there are more factors to come up with making this choice which is not in your info.

i would check what exactly is causing the memory swapping first. then i would consider limiting sql server's memory usage depending on the memory info i found.

the question about 3 instances vs 1 instance with 3 db's from performance perspective is influenced by the option if your able to get more ram in it. if not the discussion about this goes into the margian of triple overhead with 3 instances of sql server.

one example of query checking could be that some bad join is made without proper limits so you get an exponential effect in your resultset.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply