Database server info.

• Hi,

We have hundreds of servers from which I need to collect some standard informations. For example, number of databases, their sizes, number of users, hardware properties and such. What's the best way to secure this information. If anyone has some scripts can you please share.

Thanks.

-R

• What do you mean by secure?

From the source or what you've collected? If you want to secure what you've collected, keep it in a separate db (I'd recommend one on each server) and then don't grant rights for that db.

If you mean from the source, you can secure some of this, some of it's not readily available to people.

It would help if you explained what you are trying to accomplish.

• Do you mean you just want to gather some standard information from each server at your company?

The simplest thing to do would be to write a script to do things like:

select @@version

select count(*) from sys.databases

etc

Put all the names of the server instance names in a table and write a script to itterate through the instances and log the results. You'll have to just fully qualify everything using the instance name.

Sorry I don't have the scripts but it shouldn't be hard to write.

Hope it helps.

• download SQLRecon from sqlRecon.com

it will survey your network and report a LOT of valuable information about all the servers it finds;

chances are it will find development servers you didn't know about, extra instances, servers with blank passwords, and a LOT more.

i highly recommend it.

once you have the real list of servers, you can start surveying each the way Steve suggested.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply