Database roles, users and SQL Server roles and logins

• Hi,

I am using SQL Server 2005 from last 1 year. But this is the topic I have never understood in SQL Server.

Can anybody please give me a good explaination of database roles, users and SQl server roles and logins?

How this affect the access to/permissions to perform certain operations on any database?

How SQL server logins are mapped with windows logins and affect again access to database?

What is the use of database users?

Does all these things change if we change the server authentication mode - windows or mixed mode authentication?

I have gone through the multiple articles on the Internet but I am not able to capture the entire picture of the security in SQL Server though all these things partially I know.

If anybody can suggest a good book, will also do.

• viduvs (9/10/2009)

Hi,

I am using SQL Server 2005 from last 1 year. But this is the topic I have never understood in SQL Server.

Can anybody please give me a good explaination of database roles, users and SQl server roles and logins?

How this affect the access to/permissions to perform certain operations on any database?

How SQL server logins are mapped with windows logins and affect again access to database?

What is the use of database users?

Does all these things change if we change the server authentication mode - windows or mixed mode authentication?

I have gone through the multiple articles on the Internet but I am not able to capture the entire picture of the security in SQL Server though all these things partially I know.

If anybody can suggest a good book, will also do.

To be perfectly honest, the best way to learn, is by trying to do security on a test server, with a test database, you have already mentioned that you have read multiple articles on the net. if that is the case, anything anyone posts here, would be the same as what you have already read.

I dont know any good books as I never learned from a book.

This will help you hopefully.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQL+Server+2005+-+Security/sqlserver2005logins/2474/

I could give you direct answers to your questions, but all of that information is in BOL (Books online).

briefly

logins are the connection to the sql server

users are the connections to the database

server roles are roles that give permissions across the entire server or to specific functions at a server level.

database roles give rights specifically to that database.

A user and a login are generally the same name, when you create a login, you normally create a user in the databases that you want that login to have access to.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• HI,

Very important thing is

1. Give the access permission, (Like read only or write only, etc)

2. Secure the DATA (Most Important thing)

3. If server is DOWN immediately UP the server & check the resign like Some one pinging continuously or Quire taking time, etc

Regards

Satish Saidapur

• Thanks a lot for your replies. I'll definitely do the trial and error on the test server and would like to come up with specific questions.

So my first question -

1) What is dbo? Can we change the dbo in the server?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply