Database Restore issues

• All,

I find myself in a very bad situation. We run a full backup of all our databases every night and a log backup every hour. When we want to restore the backup, i go into SSMS, right click the database i want to restore go to tasks restore and database. It brings up a list of files to restore, the full backup and all transaction logs backed up to point i want. It has been erroring out so i scripted the restore and find that the full backup restore is looking for a file on TAPE, we do not use tape we backup to files. I am using a maintenance plan to do the backups each night. I am lost as to what the problem may be. I have looked at SQL logs and there are no errors during the backups. I am running SQL Server 2008 R2 64bit. I do notice in the logs that the backup starts at 10pm, all databases backup then there are entries ot No I/O activity on all the databases then the I/O activity resumes then the databases are backed up again. Is this normal?

• zulmanclock (12/19/2012)

then there are entries ot No I/O activity on all the databases then the I/O activity resumes then the databases are backed up again. Is this normal?

That's another backup running, from some 3rd party product, probably to the tape that you're pondering over.

Basically, you're running one set of backups to disk and a second to tape (or somewhere else). Not actually a problem, but it's probably what's messing SSMS up. Write the restore scripts and ignore the GUI and you should be fine.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thank you for the help. After i posted the topic i poked around and found out that my boss has a VMware backup running at the same time and i cam to that conclusion. We pushed the other backup to start later at night so that we do not run into these problems so in the event i get hit by a bus anyone can just use SSMS to do the restore.

Thank you again for your help i appreciate it.

• Rather disable the VM backup (or just the SQL portion of it). In general you should not have two separate technologies doing SQL backups. Everything in SQL or everything in a 3rd party tool, not both.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply