Database Restore

• Easy question. Thanks!

Nils Gustav Stråbø (2/21/2012)

Good and easy question. Thanks.

I'm surprised that 21% believes that you can do a point in time restore of a database in simple recovery.

---------------
    Mel. 😎

• SqlMel (2/21/2012)

Easy question. Thanks!

It's now down to 2% 🙂

I'm surprised that 21% believes that you can do a point in time restore of a database in simple recovery.

19% answered 'all of the above' and 2% answered only in simple recovery model.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Yeah, I noticed and edited afterwards. Thanks 🙂

GilaMonster (2/21/2012)

SqlMel (2/21/2012)

Easy question. Thanks!

It's now down to 2% 🙂

---------------
    Mel. 😎

• Stuart Davies (2/21/2012)

Thanks for the clarification Gail.

It's an odd situation, I've learnt from my own QOTD - normally I learn from others.

Great straight to the point question. I can't start my day without the QotD; great brain tickler to get the juices flowing and if I don't get anything out of the question, I can always count on the discussion boards.

Everything is awesome!

• I was expecting a trick question since there was no qualification about minimally logged operations.

I think the answer is correct because there is no qualification. It is always true. It is not just true "IF"...

That's why I always read the discussion 🙂

Peter Trast
    Microsoft Certified ...(insert many literal strings here)
    Microsoft Design Architect with Alexander Open Systems

• Nice question and good discussion. Thanks Stuart.

• I believe you can restore to a point in time from a full backup without a log backup, if the current log is still available and has not been truncated. You'd need to do an off-line tail backup of the current log before restoring, so I don't know if that counts as not requiring a log backup or not.

• sestell1 (2/21/2012)

I believe you can restore to a point in time from a full backup without a log backup, if the current log is still available and has not been truncated. You'd need to do an off-line tail backup of the current log before restoring, so I don't know if that counts as not requiring a log backup or not.

I think the tail log back up is still a log backup, so you still need a log backup 🙂

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• GilaMonster (2/21/2012)

SqlMel (2/21/2012)

Easy question. Thanks!

It's now down to 2% 🙂

Which means that 21% think you can do Point in Time with Simple.

I knew you couldn't do that, which eliminated all of the above. Leaving a guaranteed possibility, and a conditional one.

glad I got this one "correct"

--Mark Tassin
    MCITP - SQL Server DBA
    Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
    For help with Performance click this link[/url]
    For tips on how to post your problems[/url]

• GilaMonster (2/21/2012)I'd reference an article, but it hasn't been published yet. Refer to Kalen Delaney's SQL Server 2008 Internals, or Books Online.

Kalen Delaney's SQL Server 2008 Internals is a very good book and I look forward to the next.

Thanks for the clarification and the question.

• sestell1 (2/21/2012)

I believe you can restore to a point in time from a full backup without a log backup, if the current log is still available and has not been truncated. You'd need to do an off-line tail backup of the current log before restoring, so I don't know if that counts as not requiring a log backup or not.

A tail-log backup is a special case of a log backup, it's taken with BACKUP LOG ... with either NO_TRUNCATE or NORECOVERY depending on the situation, so it's still a log backup.

You can't do point-in-time restores with full or differential backups, the STOPAT is valid for them, just ignored.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Good question and interesting discussion - thanks!

• Clarified the explanation with a note on minimally logged operations. Also added an "always" note to the answers.

• tks for the question and great discussion again today - cheers

• good question!!!

Gail, thanks for your explanation in several posts!!!!

[font="Times New Roman"]rfr.ferrari[/font]
    DBA - SQL Server 2008
    MCITP | MCTS

remember is live or suffer twice!
    the period you fastest growing is the most difficult period of your life!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply