Database permissions

• Nice question

• Straight forward question.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLDCH (10/3/2013)

I threw out a red herring with the Oracle syntax (GRANT <database role> to <database user>), could account for some of those numbers 🙂

Yep... got me! That's how I used to do it in Oracle and Interbase

• Stewart "Arturius" Campbell (10/3/2013)

(...)

which is, most probably, why the QP stated WEF SQL2012.

(...)

Sorry if it's a stupid question (English is not my native language), but what does WEF stand for?

• Nice and easy... thanks, Dan!

• Primo Dang (10/4/2013)

Stewart "Arturius" Campbell (10/3/2013)

(...)

which is, most probably, why the QP stated WEF SQL2012.

(...)

Sorry if it's a stupid question (English is not my native language), but what does WEF stand for?

With Effect From.

But it doesn't state WEF SQL2012, it sates "In SQL Server 2012" which is both easier for people to understand and slightly different in meaning (it says nothing about after Sql 2012).

Tom

• L' Eomot Inversé (10/3/2013)

SQLDCH (10/3/2013)

L' Eomot Inversé (10/3/2013)

Nice question.

I find it quite surprising that 58% of answers so far were wrong; and even more surprising that nearly half of the wrong answers were not sp_addrolemember but one of the other two options.

I threw out a red herring with the Oracle syntax (GRANT <database role> to <database user>), could account for some of those numbers 🙂

Ah, that was a clever move, and might well account for more than half of them (60% of the wrong answers that were not the deprecated sp were that one). I like that sort of red herring. Maybe I should have noticed it, but I didn't - I've forgotten all I used to know about Oracle (except that it's both very expensive and rather difficult to manage).

+1

Thanks & Best Regards,
    Hany Helmy
    SQL Server Database Consultant

• Great question. I usually use sp_addrolemember for permissioning purpose but because of this question had to dig and got the following link:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187750.aspx

it clearly mentions that this feature will be removed in a future version of Microsoft SQL Server. Avoid using this feature in new development work,...

No matter how long it takes for Microsoft to depriciate this feature it will be good practice to know other ways of doing things which are for sure will be there in future. 🙂

• Ford Fairlane (10/3/2013)

Not a big fan of questions involving deprecated features, that never seem to go away.

Personally I like these. It always helps to know additional ways to do a task, and for that matter when they were introduced or removed. Particularly when you are dealing with 5 different versions of SQL in production at once.

Kenneth FisherI was once offered a wizards hat but it got in the way of my dunce cap.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following... http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/[/url]For better answers on performance questions, click on the following... http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/[/url]Link to my Blog Post --> www.SQLStudies.com[/url]

• Thanks for the question. Didn't know the sp is deprecated in 2012.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply