Database objects & version control- Best practices?

• How about Visual Studio Team Suite 2005 / 2008...?

I have tried Visual Studio Team Suite 2008, and it is very handy for the SQL developers.

BUT Its Not Free...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sometimes, winning is not an issue but trying.
    You can check my BLOG
    [font="Arial Black"]here[/font][/url][/right]

• I use a poor (simple?) man's solution that runs a sweep of all data base objects nightly, and captures a copy of anything that has been modified in a table.

Works fine for me. I miss multiple changes made during the day, but those are only failed test attempts that are not worth saving anyway. Other than that, I have a complete history of all versions.

• You can try VS TeamSystem with this VPC http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/teamsystem/default.mspx. Has a web interface very simple. It's looks like Share Point.

• tony.sawyer (4/21/2009)

Hi John,

itamar has mentioned a tool I've never heard of before - I think we will be looking at that to see whether it does what we want - or at least does a better job than what we are managing with at the moment.

Tony

I'll be happy to hear what you think of it.

--------

SQL Data compare , Synchronize data from diffrent surces, and many other SQL tools[/url].

• Hi

We use SQL Server 2012 and have stored procedures in Dev and Live environment. When we decide to move changes made to Dev TO Live, we need to be able to compare the scripts in Dev and Live and see the changes so that we can analyse the impact of the same and plan accordingly. We use the Generate Scripts option in both environments, however, the scripts do not come in the same order in each of them and hence it becomes very difficult to compare them. Would you be able to suggest a tool which can give the changes in the same order so that taking a DIFF of them would be easy ? OR will you be able to share something you have developed to know the list of changes made to all Stored procedures in a given range of dates ?

Regards

Mannulal

• Hi!

I use this free tool 'dbcomparer' to compare dev and live databases and get the changes. Then I use SQL Server to 'Generate Scripts'

Regards

• Thanks a ton.. It seems to be a good tool for comparing dB's ..

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply