Database mirroring - when replicating a database

• Hi,

I am playing around with database mirroring at the moment and everything is fine and dandy - up to a point.

Scenario

Principal Server ServerA (SQL2008)

Mirror Server ServerB (SQL 2008)

Witness Server ServerC (SQL2008)

The database is being successfully mirrored from ServerA to ServerB

ServerC acts as the distributor for ServerA and ServerB, new agent profiles for the snapshot and log reader agents on ServerC have been created, PublisherFailoverPartner points to ServerB.

The database on ServerA is also being replicated to ServerD (SQL2000).

A controlled failover using the GUI works like a charm, the principal and mirror swap places and after a very short delay, the replication side of the set up resolves itself.

But what if there is an uncontrolled failover - for instance the network cable is yanked out of ServerA, in this case a failover of a sort occurs, ServerB becomes the principal, the mirror state is Disconnected and the witness connection is connected. ServerA current role appears as Waiting for data or not connected to ServerA, the mirror state is Waiting for data or not connected to ServerA and the witness connection is Waiting for data or not connected to ServerA.

The database that is part of the mirroring set up is available on serverB, but is not being mirrored (as serverA is to all intents and purposed dead)

Replication is stuck, the log reader agent reads "Replicated transactions are waiting for the next log backup or for mirroring partner to catch up."

Is there anyway to get replication running again, or do I have to drop the subscription(s) and or publication and then recreate the publication and subscriptions? or will database mirroring not deal with this scenario at all?

• I think if you launch mirroring monitor you can reinitialize the snapshot and restart all the agents to get things rolling again.

• Thanks for the reply,

I have tried reinistialising the subscriptions etc, this is failing. It appears that the agents are attemping to connect to the now dead server.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply