Database Mirroring: Nothing I have tried works :(

• Hi guys

I've gone bald over the last few days trying to figure out why I cannot setup database mirroring. (I even gave up for a while and tried Data Replication....again, come across a similar issue but that's a different story, err....topic)

I have gone through so many different websites, and they've all said the same thing about setting up the endpoints, backing up the database and restoring it on the mirror instance, backing up the log file and restoring that, both with NO RECOVERY of course, then setting the partner on both databases to point to the opposite database.

When I restore the database onto the mirror instance, the database comes up with (Restoring...) next to the name. Hopefully that's normal.

When I restore the log file onto the mirror instance, the database comes up with (In Recovery...) again, hoping that's normal.

When I run ALTER DATABASE dbName SET partner = 'TCP://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:xxxx' from mirror to primary database, it works. But when I try the opposite it comes up with

"The server network address "TCP://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:xxxx" can not be reached or does not exist. Check the network address name and that the ports for the local and remote endpoints are operational."

I know that both addresses are correct, I've used netstat on both servers and found the ports are listed as "LISTENING".

No firewall.

Endpoints have been started on both ends. I've tried different ports, perhaps maybe there was a conflict but noooooo.

I've even tried creating a test database on the mirror server, and tried to mirror that onto the primary server, and the error happens at exactly the same spot.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa337361(SQL.90).aspx

According to that website,

"Improperly configured security can cause a general setup error message. For security reasons, the error message does not indicate the cause of invalid connection attempts. Typically, the server instance drops the bad connection request without responding. To the caller, a security-configuration error could appear to have occurred for a variety of other reasons, such as the mirror database in a bad state or does not exist, incorrect permissions, and so on."

So my question is, does it sound like the database is in a bad state, or is the whole (Restoring.../In Recovery) thing normal?

If that is normal, what kind of incorrect permissions (or any other security issues) should I be looking at?:crying:

• Maybe you network admin is blocking the communication between the servers with firewall.

Adi

--------------------------------------------------------------
    To know how to ask questions and increase the chances of getting asnwers:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• Thanks for your reply.

There is no firewall on the local network, only one on the internet connection. The servers all talk to each other use LAN addresses, so no firewall. I also checked this with him and he said the same thing.

Any other thoughts?

• Ok so after looking into the error log, I found

Error 1443, Severity: 16,State: 2

followed by a message saying database mirroring has been terminated. I'm currently google-ing solutions but if anyone has any suggestions or thoughts that would be greatly appreciated.

• Got it working using certificates

http://alan328.com/SQL2005_Database_Mirroring_Tutorial.aspx

Yey!!!!!!!!!!

• Hi

If 2 servers are not in same domain, use certificates to mirror. i faced the similar problem and resolved by using certificates.

muralidaran r

• What account is SQL server/agent running under is it a local or domain account?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply