Database mirroring log issue

• Hi guys,

I have a setup for database mirroring. The db is a real busy one. For some reason the logs have quit getting mirrored, due to which the log in the primary has grown so big to about 110 GB that is about to fill up the drive.

What would be my options here to troubleshoot the problem, i.e, I need to get the log size down and resume mirroring. both the servers are on SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition. The status of both the servers is "synchronizing" at the moment. Mirroring monitor also show that the log transfer has stopped.

One more question is how to get the log to be as small as possible so taht it can be sent to teh mirror manually since the bandwidth available is limited. These are geographically separated servers.

Please suggest.

Regards

Akhil

• Try shrinking the log using DBCC shrinkfile command.

I think mirroring will get back on track.

Tanx 😀

• First check out of 110 GB howmuch is occupied and howmuch is free? If considerable free space you can shrink file.

Other possibility if mirrored is not happening properly on the destination server than sql server won't truncate logfile and size of logfile will be more.

Also check the t-log back if it's working fine.

---------------------------------------------------
    "Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

• Thanks for your help guys.

I took a tlog backup for the db and then tried dbcc shrinkfile by pausing the mirroring, but still no go.

The mirror status shows as "Not connected to principal DB" in mirroring monitor.

Please help.

Regards

Akhil

• There are very little options here. You need to break the mirroring session and reduce the log file size and re configure the DB AFAIK.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply