Database Mirroring

• Hi,

I have multiple databases on each SQL Server 2005 instance on a Cluster that need to be mirrored on to a single SQL Server 2005 instance residing on a remote cluster.

Now to setup database mirroring for each of these databases of a single instance, should I use unique Mirroring endpoints with unique port numbers for each of these databases or should I use the same endpoint for all of these databases of a single instances?

Also, regarding creation of the logins on the mirror, should I create only those logins on the Principal instance that are mapped to Users of the mirrored databases?

Could anyone help me with this?

Thank You,

Yours,

SQLBuddy

• Can I ask a different question, what is the latency between the local machine and the remote, depending on the mirroring mode you might have to wait for both to commit a transaction. Have you considered log shipping or transactional replication. Not sure of your needs, just bringing up other options..

CEWII

• Hi Elliott,

I am not sure about the amount of latency between the two remote machines. Since we are not employing a Witness, we are planning to use High Protection mode. The design has been done and we are implementing Database mirroring as a DR stratergy against Logshipping and Replication methods.

Thank You,

Yours

SQL Buddy

• sqlbuddy123 (7/6/2009)

Hi,

I have multiple databases on each SQL Server 2005 instance on a Cluster that need to be mirrored on to a single SQL Server 2005 instance residing on a remote cluster.

Now to setup database mirroring for each of these databases of a single instance, should I use unique Mirroring endpoints with unique port numbers for each of these databases or should I use the same endpoint for all of these databases of a single instances?

you can only have one endpoint with a payload of database_mirroring per instance

Also, regarding creation of the logins on the mirror, should I create only those logins on the Principal instance that are mapped to Users of the mirrored databases?

Could anyone help me with this?

Thank You,

Yours,

SQLBuddy

on the mirror server you only need those logins associated with the databases being mirrored.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• Hi George,

Thank You very much for your reply.

I really appreciate your help.

Yours

SQLBuddy

• cheers, no problem

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply