Database Mail & SQL Mail

• Hi,

Can anyone please tell me the difference between Database Mail and SQL Mail.

Thanks in Advance

R.K.Nair

• Corey Bunch wrote a good article -

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Administration/introtodatabasemailinsql2005/2197/

"The main difference between SQL Mail in SQL 2000 and Database Mail in 2005 is this: SQL Mail is a headache and Database Mail is not. After experimenting briefly with Database Mail, I see no reason why one would choose the legacy SQL Mail over the new Database Mail, unless of course for backward compatibility, legacy applications, etc.

Not only does Database Mail handle the somewhat simple task of sending emails rather well. It has some other robust features that should not go unnoticed, such as...

Multiple profiles and accounts to specify multiple SMTP servers or different email infrastructure situations

SQL Server queues messages even when the external mailing process fails

High security - users and roles have to be granted permission to send mail

Logging and auditing

HTML messages, attachment size regulations, file extension requirements, etc.

With all these considerations (plus a good number that I’m not including for purposes of brevity), provided you have (or are) a good developer, you can make some use of 2005’s new Database Mail functionality."

• Thanks Tommy that was really nice ............

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply