Database Mail Setup Problem

• Hi,

I was attempting to set up Database Mail on my SQL Server 2005 instance. I read a few articles and it seems fairly straightforward. I use the same configuration settings through Outlook. I set up the server the same way, checked off SSL, and used the same port number.

I tried using Basic Authentication, with just my user name, with my full email (user@domain.ext format), and the same password I use in Outlook. Everything appears to be configured properly credential-wise. However, when I try to send a test e-mail to myself, the test always fails.

The failure message stored in the msdb.dbo.sysmail_event_log table for every one of my attempts has been the following:

The mail could not be sent to the recipients because of the mail server failure. (Sending Mail using Account 1 (2007-01-11T17:40:30). Exception Message: Cannot send mails to mail server. (The operation has timed out.). )

Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.

-Steve

• You don't need to use outlook for database mail...

See the database mail setup article...

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/cBunch/introtodatabasemailinsql2005.asp

MohammedU
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

• Thanks for the reply... I was just mentioning my Outlook settings in relation to the settings I set up in Database mail. The settings work in Outlook but not Database Mail. I didn't mean to make the post confusing. Sorry about that.

• Did you send the test mail when you are setting db mail before you completed configuration?

Check your configuration once again...you have right SMTP server or not...

MohammedU
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

• Just tried re-creating the profile with the same results. The server I'm using requires SSL on port 465, do you think I need to open up a port so that SQL Server can access that port? Would the port be locked because of Outlook being open?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply