Database mail in SQL Server 2008 R2...

• I tried to configure db mail as per help.....

but every time mail got failed..

I asked my email administrator.... he said port number is not mandatory???

but still its not working...

please help.... any example of database mail would be helpful....

Sagar Sonawane
    ** Every DBA has his day!!:cool:

• Check the mail log and have a look at the error you are getting as this will give you more of an idea of why it is failing..

I have never had to use the port number, just the correct IP of the SMTP server

• Error in error log was

The mail could not be send to recipients because of mail server failure.

Exception message: cannot send mails to mail server.(The remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure)

Sagar Sonawane

• are you using Anonymous authenitcation?

if not, check that your SQL service account can authenticate against the server

• I used my email credentials.... of which account i was using smtp server ip

I didn't used anonymous authentication.... do I need to use windows authentication for it???

Sagar Sonawane

• yes if Anonymous authenitication is not allowed then you will need to get the SMTP server admin to setup an account that you can use. either windows authentication (for the account sql server runs under) or basic authentication (username + password)

• steveb's right on.

pretty sure your issue is the mails erver doesn't like the way you are connecting.

In order to prevent spam, most mail servers are set up to only allow emails from range of IP addresses (say, anything on it's internal LAN network range), or if the SMTP command is using the AUTH command to send a known username/password.

here's a screenshot of my Profile that sends via gmail, for example:

since my machine's not on the same internal network as Google, i have to use Basic Authentication, witha username and password.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• yes. the problem was may be just because of internal network setting. I will try it on google. Thanks for your answers.

Sagar Sonawane

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply