Database Mail does not work on New Server

• SQLKnowItAll (4/2/2012)

Yup! Stepping away and observing because this is clearly not what I thought... 🙂

I think digging at the setup for db_mail is fine; we've got to get Welsh from getting distracted with other error messages and stay on track with db_mail for now.

It seems to me the issue's more related to the service broker not processing the emails in the queue; He's said that he's stopped and started the service, which is how he'd fixed a very similar issue in the past in another thread.

I'd like to see the results of some of the broker related DMV's for more information;

Service Broker Related Dynamic Management Views (Transact-SQL)

How to troubleshoot Service Broker problems

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• I would be curious the value for is_broker_enabled in sys.databases for this database.

• Lowell,

Sorry that I created a new post. I could not find the original. So I'm wrong for that but I'm not lying.

Yes, it is the same Server and it is the only server that I'm having an issue.

I never posted anything on the other server because they worked.

The reason for the delay is that it is just a Dev/QA Server and only one other person other than I are using it and I had

I have three instance and it does not work on either one.

I used the same script to to create the Account and the profile.

This is the 1st Server using 2008 R2 x64.

For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• It was not my intent to use CDONTS as an alternative.

I just wanted to see if it worked.

Thanks.

Hmm... Can you post the results of sp_configure?

Configuration option 'show advanced options' changed from 1 to 1. Run the RECONFIGURE statement to install.

Configuration option 'Database Mail XPs' changed from 1 to 1. Run the RECONFIGURE statement to install.

• Lynn Pettis (4/2/2012)

Lowell (4/2/2012)

Lynn Pettis (4/2/2012)

SSIS shouldn't have anything to do with Database Mail.

What has me slightly confused is you talk about using Database Mail, but the code you show is using CDONTS. I was unware the Database Mail used CDONTS. I thought it used SMTP to communicate with a mail server to send emails.

Am I missing anything here?

There's a bigger picture here, it's hard to track;

Wesh Corgi added a new server, and database mail's not working on the new server, but is fine on many of his other servers; he had a couple of other threads where he was wrestling with trying to get it to work.

this thread is an attempt to get any kind of email working, clearly out of frustration, as he moved off of db_mail and is trying cdonts as an alternative.

Any chance of getting these consolidated so that we aren't flailing around trying to figure out what is going on?

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1263714-391-1.aspx

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1271710-1550-1.aspx

• Lynn Pettis (4/2/2012)

I would be curious the value for is_broker_enabled in sys.databases for this database.

SELECT is_broker_enabled FROM sys.databases WHERE name = 'msdb';

Returns:

is_broker_enabled

• Lowell (4/2/2012)

SQLKnowItAll (4/2/2012)

Yup! Stepping away and observing because this is clearly not what I thought... 🙂

IIt seems to me the issue's more related to the service broker not processing the emails in the queue; He's said that he's stopped and started the service, which is how he'd fixed a very similar issue in the past in another thread.

I'd like to see the results of some of the broker related DMV's for more information;

Service Broker Related Dynamic Management Views (Transact-SQL)

Well I'm sorry that I got everyone mad at me. What do I need to do to get out of the Dog House?

SELECT t1.name AS [Service_Name], t3.name AS [Schema_Name], t2.name AS [Queue_Name],

CASE WHEN t4.state IS NULL THEN 'Not available'

ELSE t4.state

END AS [Queue_State],

CASE WHEN t4.tasks_waiting IS NULL THEN '--'

ELSE CONVERT(VARCHAR, t4.tasks_waiting)

END AS tasks_waiting,

CASE WHEN t4.last_activated_time IS NULL THEN '--'

ELSE CONVERT(varchar, t4.last_activated_time)

END AS last_activated_time ,

CASE WHEN t4.last_empty_rowset_time IS NULL THEN '--'

ELSE CONVERT(varchar,t4.last_empty_rowset_time)

END AS last_empty_rowset_time,

(

SELECT COUNT(*)

FROM sys.transmission_queue t6

WHERE (t6.from_service_name = t1.name) ) AS [Tran_Message_Count]

FROM sys.services t1 INNER JOIN sys.service_queues t2

ON ( t1.service_queue_id = t2.object_id )

INNER JOIN sys.schemas t3 ON ( t2.schema_id = t3.schema_id )

LEFT OUTER JOIN sys.dm_broker_queue_monitors t4

ON ( t2.object_id = t4.queue_id AND t4.database_id = DB_ID() )

INNER JOIN sys.databases t5 ON ( t5.database_id = DB_ID() )

It does not post very well.

Partial Results:

ExternalMailServicedboExternalMailQueueINACTIVE

InternalMailServicedboInternalMailQueueINACTIVE

http://schemas.microsoft.com/SQL/Notifications/EventNotificationServicedboEventNotificationErrorsQueueNot available

http://schemas.microsoft.com/SQL/Notifications/QueryNotificationServicedboQueryNotificationErrorsQueueNot available

http://schemas.microsoft.com/SQL/ServiceBroker/ServiceBrokerdboServiceBrokerQueueNot available

syspolicy_event_listenerdbosyspolicy_event_queueINACTIVE

This Server is not that new but the latest that I have received. I installed in late Feburary and created the first Database on 2012-02-29.

I will soon have 2 new Servers, I will use the same script to setup the Account & Pofile and it will be interesting to see what happens.

• Welsh Corgi (4/2/2012)

SELECT *

FROM sysmail_event_log

Nothing but start & stop DB Mail

SELECT *

FROM sysmail_allitems

I found the items were listed as failed.

So I check the Windows Event Log and I have the following:

1) Exception Information

===================

Exception Type: System.TypeInitializationException

TypeName: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection

Message: The type initializer for 'System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection' threw an exception.

Data: System.Collections.ListDictionaryInternal

TargetSite: Void .ctor(System.String)

HelpLink: NULL

Source: System.Data

StackTrace Information

===================

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection..ctor(String connectionString)

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.SqlConnectionInfo.CreateConnectionObject()

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlIMail.Server.DataAccess.ConnectionManager.OpenConnection(SqlConnectionInfo ci)

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlIMail.Server.DataAccess.DataAccessAdapter.OpenConnection(String dbServerName, String dbName, String userName, String password)

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlIMail.IMailProcess.QueueItemProcesser.ProcessQueueItems(String dbName, String dbServerName, Int32 lifetimeMinimumSec, LogLevel loggingLevel)

2) Exception Information

===================

TypeName: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory

Message: The type initializer for 'System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory' threw an exception.

TargetSite: Void .cctor()

StackTrace Information

===================

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection..cctor()

3) Exception Information

===================

TypeName: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlPerformanceCounters

Message: The type initializer for 'System.Data.SqlClient.SqlPerformanceCounters' threw an exception.

TargetSite: Void .ctor()

StackTrace Information

===================

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory..ctor()

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory..cctor()

4) Exception Information

===================

Exception Type: System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException

BareMessage: Configuration system failed to initialize

Filename: NULL

Line: 0

Errors: System.Configuration.ConfigurationException[]

TargetSite: Void EnsureInit(System.String)

Source: System.Configuration

StackTrace Information

===================

at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.EnsureInit(String configKey)

at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.PrepareClientConfigSystem(String sectionName)

at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.System.Configuration.Internal.IInternalConfigSystem.GetSection(String sectionName)

at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.GetSection(String sectionName)

at System.Configuration.PrivilegedConfigurationManager.GetSection(String sectionName)

at System.Diagnostics.DiagnosticsConfiguration.Initialize()

at System.Diagnostics.Switch.InitializeConfigSettings()

at System.Diagnostics.Switch.InitializeWithStatus()

at System.Diagnostics.Switch.get_SwitchSetting()

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPoolCounters..ctor(String categoryName, String categoryHelp)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlPerformanceCounters..ctor()

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlPerformanceCounters..cctor()

5) Exception Information

===================

Exception Type: System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException

Message: An error occurred loading a configuration file: Access to the path 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\Config\machine.config' is denied. (C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\Config\machine.config)

BareMessage: An error occurred loading a configuration file: Access to the path 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\Config\machine.config' is denied.

Filename: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\Config\machine.config

Line: 0

Errors: System.Configuration.ConfigurationException[]

TargetSite: Void ThrowIfErrors(Boolean)

Source: System.Configuration

StackTrace Information

===================

at System.Configuration.ConfigurationSchemaErrors.ThrowIfErrors(Boolean ignoreLocal)

at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.ThrowIfInitErrors()

at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.EnsureInit(String configKey)

6) Exception Information

===================

Exception Type: System.UnauthorizedAccessException

Message: Access to the path 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\Config\machine.config' is denied.

TargetSite: Void WinIOError(Int32, System.String)

Source: mscorlib

StackTrace Information

===================

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)

at System.Configuration.Internal.InternalConfigHost.StaticOpenStreamForRead(String streamName)

at System.Configuration.Internal.InternalConfigHost.System.Configuration.Internal.IInternalConfigHost.OpenStreamForRead(String streamName, Boolean assertPermissions)

at System.Configuration.Internal.InternalConfigHost.System.Configuration.Internal.IInternalConfigHost.OpenStreamForRead(String streamName)

at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationHost.OpenStreamForRead(String streamName)

1) Exception Information =================== Exception Type: System.TypeInitializationException TypeName: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection Message: The type initializer for 'System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection' threw an exception. Data: System.Collections.ListDictionaryInternal TargetSite: Void .ctor(System.String) HelpLink: NULL Source: System.Data StackTrace Information =================== at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection..ctor(String connectionString) at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.SqlConnectionInfo.CreateConnectionObject() at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlIMail.Server.DataAccess.ConnectionManager.OpenConnection(SqlConnectionInfo ci) at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlIMail.Server.DataAccess.DataAccessAdapter.OpenConnection(String dbServerName, String dbName, String userName, String password) at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlIMail.IMailProcess.QueueItemProcesser.ProcessQueueItems(String dbName, String dbServerName, Int32 lifetimeMinimumSec, LogLevel loggingLevel) 2) Exception Information =================== Exception Type: System.TypeInitializationException TypeName: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory Message: The type initializer for 'System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory' threw an exception. Data: System.Collections.ListDictionaryInternal TargetSite: Void .cctor() HelpLink: NULL Source: System.Data StackTrace Information =================== at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection..cctor() 3) Exception Information =================== Exception Type: System.TypeInitializationException TypeName: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlPerformanceCounters Message: The type initializer for 'System.Data.SqlClient.SqlPerformanceCounters' threw an exception. Data: System.Collections.ListDictionaryInternal TargetSite: Void .ctor() HelpLink: NULL Source: System.Data StackTrace Information =================== at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory..ctor() at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory..cctor() 4) Exception Information =================== Exception Type: System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException Message: Configuration system failed to initialize BareMessage: Configuration system failed to initialize Filename: NULL Line: 0 Errors: System.Configuration.ConfigurationException[] Data: System.Collections.ListDictionaryInternal TargetSite: Void EnsureInit(System.String) HelpLink: NULL Source: System.Configuration StackTrace Information =================== at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.EnsureInit(String configKey) at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.PrepareClientConfigSystem(String sectionName) at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.System.Configuration.Internal.IInternalConfigSystem.GetSection(String sectionName) at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.GetSection(String sectionName) at System.Configuration.PrivilegedConfigurationManager.GetSection(String sectionName) at System.Diagnostics.DiagnosticsConfiguration.Initialize() at System.Diagnostics.Switch.InitializeConfigSettings() at System.Diagnostics.Switch.InitializeWithStatus() at System.Diagnostics.Switch.get_SwitchSetting() at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPoolCounters..ctor(String categoryName, String categoryHelp) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlPerformanceCounters..ctor() at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlPerformanceCounters..cctor() 5) Exception Information =================== Exception Type: System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException Message: An error occurred loading a configuration file: Access to the path 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\Config\machine.config' is denied. (C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\Config\machine.config) BareMessage: An error occurred loading a configuration file: Access to the path 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\Config\machine.config' is denied. Filename: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\Config\machine.config Line: 0 Errors: System.Configuration.ConfigurationException[] Data: System.Collections.ListDictionaryInternal TargetSite: Void ThrowIfErrors(Boolean) HelpLink: NULL Source: System.Configuration StackTrace Information =================== at System.Configuration.ConfigurationSchemaErrors.ThrowIfErrors(Boolean ignoreLocal) at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.ThrowIfInitErrors() at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.EnsureInit(String configKey) 6) Exception Information =================== Exception Type: System.UnauthorizedAccessException Message: Access to the path 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\Config\machine.config' is denied. Data: System.Collections.ListDictionaryInternal TargetSite: Void WinIOError(Int32, System.String) HelpLink: NULL Source: mscorlib StackTrace Information =================== at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath) at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy) at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy) at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share) at System.Configuration.Internal.InternalConfigHost.StaticOpenStreamForRead(String streamName) at System.Configuration.Internal.InternalConfigHost.System.Configuration.Internal.IInternalConfigHost.OpenStreamForRead(String streamName, Boolean assertPermissions) at System.Configuration.Internal.InternalConfigHost.System.Configuration.Internal.IInternalConfigHost.OpenStreamForRead(String streamName) at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationHost.OpenStreamForRead(String streamName) at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.InitConfigFromFile()

OMG, it looks like permissions.:crying:

IMHO, the source of the Database mail problem is embeded in the Windows Application Event Log error that I posted above.

• Lynn Pettis (4/2/2012)

What has me slightly confused is you talk about using Database Mail, but the code you show is using CDONTS. I was unware the Database Mail used CDONTS. I thought it used SMTP to communicate with a mail server to send emails.

I only mentioned SSIS because I suspect something weird is going on with that Server.

I just want to test CDONTS to see if it worked not as an alternative to DB Mail.

In my neverending search for knowledge... I found this article. Welsh, does this help at all?

http://www.webhostgear.com/204.html

I had found another article similar to this.

I got an error when I tried to register the DLL.

The error is related to permissions. Even though I'm an Admin I get the error.

I was trying to catch a Domain Admin to get back to his desk and run as Administrator.

Could we please forget about CDONTS? I regret that I ever mentioned it.

• Welsh Corgi (4/2/2012)

SQLKnowItAll (4/2/2012)

In my neverending search for knowledge... I found this article. Welsh, does this help at all?

http://www.webhostgear.com/204.html

I had found another article similar to this.

I got an error when I tried to register the DLL.

The error is related to permissions. Even though I'm an Admin I get the error.

I was trying to catch a Domain Admin to get back to his desk and run as Administrator.

Could we please forget about CDONTS? I regret that I ever mentioned it.

More than happy to forget CDONTS. It just confused me anyway.

• Lowell (4/2/2012)

Lynn Pettis (4/2/2012)

Wesh Corgi added a new server, and database mail's not working on the new server, but is fine on many of his other servers; he had a couple of other threads where he was wrestling with trying to get it to work.

this thread is an attempt to get any kind of email working, clearly out of frustration, as he moved off of db_mail and is trying cdonts as an alternative.

You implying that I do not know how to install Database Mail as if I have never done it. Thats is just not true and I'm offended.

• I absolutely did not mean to imply that you did not have any experience, and I definitely did not mean to offend you.

If you read my post that way, I'm sorry, and apologize, as it was not my intent.

I would love to do nothing more that help you get your Database mail up and working; every installation is unique, and can have it own issues. I'm sure that's what we have here, something unique that is keeping the service broker from doing it's job.

I am more than aware that you've installed multiple servers previously, as well as having a skillset and experience in SSIS that is greater than my own.

Whatever the issue is with this installation, I'd like to help with diagnosing the issue.

Welsh Corgi (4/3/2012)

Lowell (4/2/2012)

Lynn Pettis (4/2/2012)

You implying that I do not know how to install Database Mail as if I have never done it. Thats is just not true and I'm offended.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Listed below is the script that I have used to configure 5 servers in the past 6 months. Excluding the one that it is not working on.

I also listed some of the statements that I executed to attempt to determine the problem. They are not necessarily in the correct order.

--use master

--go

--exec sp_configure 'show advanced options', 1

--reconfigure

--exec sp_configure 'Database Mail XPs', 1

--reconfigure

USE msdb

GO

DECLARE @ProfileName VARCHAR(35)

DECLARE @AccountName VARCHAR(35)

SET @ProfileName = 'Joe_Blow'

SET @AccountName = 'Account'

IF EXISTS(

SELECT * FROM msdb.dbo.sysmail_profileaccount pa

JOIN msdb.dbo.sysmail_profile p ON pa.profile_id = p.profile_id

JOIN msdb.dbo.sysmail_account a ON pa.account_id = a.account_id

WHERE

p.name = @ProfileName AND

a.name = @AccountName)

BEGIN

PRINT 'Deleting Profile Account'

EXECUTE sysmail_delete_profileaccount_sp

@profile_name = @ProfileName,

@account_name = @AccountName

END

IF EXISTS(

SELECT * FROM msdb.dbo.sysmail_profile p

WHERE p.name = @ProfileName)

BEGIN

PRINT 'Deleting Profile.'

EXECUTE sysmail_delete_profile_sp

@profile_name = @ProfileName

END

IF EXISTS(

SELECT * FROM msdb.dbo.sysmail_account a

WHERE a.name = @AccountName)

BEGIN

PRINT 'Deleting Account.'

EXECUTE sysmail_delete_account_sp

@account_name = @AccountName

END

--// Create a Database Mail account

EXECUTE msdb.dbo.sysmail_add_account_sp

@account_name = 'XYZ_BI_DW_Mail_Account',

@description = 'Mail account used by XYZ_BI_DW SQL Server Agent.',

@email_address = 'JBlow@cypressig.com',

@replyto_address = 'JBlow@cypressig.com',

@display_name = ' XYZ_BI_DW Server Agent',

@mailserver_name = 'relay.mydomain.com',

@port = 25,

@username = 'JBlow@mydomain.com',

@password = 'XXX#$1$5',

@enable_ssl = 1

-- Create a Database Mail profile

EXECUTE msdb.dbo.sysmail_add_profile_sp

@profile_name = 'Database_Mail_Profile',

@description = 'Profile used for Database Mail'

-- Add the account to the profile

EXECUTE msdb.dbo.sysmail_add_profileaccount_sp

@account_name = 'XYZ_BI_DW_Mail_Account',

@sequence_number =1

-- Grant access to the profile to the DBMailUsers role

EXECUTE msdb.dbo.sysmail_add_principalprofile_sp

@principal_name = 'public',

@is_default = 1

--Send mail

EXEC msdb.dbo.sp_send_dbmail

@recipients=N'JBlow@mydomain.com',

@body= 'Test Email Body',

@subject = 'Test Email Subject',

@profile_name = 'Database_Mail_Profile'

SE msdb

GO

exec dbo.sysmail_start_sp

exec dbo.sysmail_stop_sp

EXEC sysmail_help_queue_sp @queue_type = 'Mail' ;

SELECT *

FROM sysmail_faileditems

SELECT *

FROM sysmail_mailitems

GO

SELECT *

FROM sysmail_log

GO

SELECT *

FROM sysmail_sentitems

SELECT *

FROM sysmail_allitems

SELECT *

FROM sysmail_event_log

SELECT * FROM msdb.dbo.sysmail_profile p

SELECT * FROM msdb.dbo.sysmail_account

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply