Database Mail Configuration

• Hi,

I am setting up Database mail in SQL Server 2008 to send mail to my Gmail account. Following are the details of the DBMail profile I've created:

email id : <mymailid>@gmail.com

Display Name : Vinu

Reply email :

Server name : smtp.gmail.com

port no: 587

Check : This server requires a secure connection

Check : Basic Authentication

username : youremailid@gmail.com ( should have gmail.com)

password : <mypassword>

confirm password : <mypassword>

Then I clicked next and also made it default public profile.

Then I use the following TSQL code to confgiure and send DBMail:

--Configuring DBMail

sp_CONFIGURE 'show advanced', 1

GO

RECONFIGURE

GO

sp_CONFIGURE 'Database Mail XPs', 1

GO

RECONFIGURE

--Sending Mail

USE msdb

GO

EXEC sp_send_dbmail @profile_name='ABHI_DB_Mail',

@recipients='vijayan.vinu3@gmail.com',

@subject='Test message',

@body='This is the body of the test message.

Database Mail Received Successfully.'

The message is not being sent.

When I see the mail items using the following code:

--Viewing Sys_mailitems

SELECT mailitem_id, profile_id, recipients, subject, body, sent_status, sent_date

FROM sysmail_mailitems

It always shows sent_status as '2'(Failed).

And, after this when I view the Database Mail Log, it shows me the following error:

"The mail could not be sent to the recipients because of the Mail Server failure. (Semding Mail Using Account 5(2012-05-16T10:32:55). Exception Message : Could not Connect to Mail Server.(No Such Host is known) )"

I am configuring it for the first time.

Is this the whole process of Setting up Database mail??...Am I missing something??....This is how it is done....right??....Or do I have to configure some other Services as well??

Would be really helpful, if someone could tell me how to solve this and set up the Database Mail

Vinu Vijayan

For better and faster solutions please check..."How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help" - Jeff Moden[/url] 😉

• Hi Vijay,

You are using GMAIL SMTP, please use your company SMTP & test it....

Regards

Satish

• saidapurs (5/16/2012)

Hi Vijay,

You are using GMAIL SMTP, please use your company SMTP & test it....

Regards

Satish

Doesn't Gmail SMTP work??....If I am behind a Proxy...I might need to alter my Proxy Settings....right??....How do I do that to allow SQL Server to send mails??

Vinu Vijayan

For better and faster solutions please check..."How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help" - Jeff Moden[/url] 😉

• Many companies will not allow outbound SMTP from a client computer unless specifically allowed at the firewall.

To test, try to telnet to port 25 of smtp.gmail.com from the server in question (e.g. telnet smtp.gmail.com 25 from a command line) - if you get a connection timed out or no response you're being blocked and will have to contact your network team.

Joe

• Thanks for the reply Joe.

Yes, that was the problem. I was behind a Proxy which was blocking outbound SMTP.

I finally got it working.

I have another small question. Can I configure Database Mail to send me a mail whenever there is a deadlock?....A link where I can find how to do it could be really useful.

Vinu Vijayan

• vinu512 (5/16/2012)

Thanks for the reply Joe.

Yes, that was the problem. I was behind a Proxy which was blocking outbound SMTP.

I finally got it working.

I have another small question. Can I configure Database Mail to send me a mail whenever there is a deadlock?....A link where I can find how to do it could be really useful.

you should be able to set up an operator (withthis email address in it) and then set up an alert to watch out for error number or severity. Whenever a deadlock happens an alert is raised which fires off an email to the operator. i've never personally used it for deadlocks but I use it for policy based management.

[font="Times New Roman"]There's no kill switch on awesome![/font]
  • Thanks Loundy.

I'll give that a shot. 🙂

Vinu Vijayan

• This will point you in the right direction if you dont have the traceflags enabled on your instances

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms186385.aspx

Will need to refactor the job to send the mail, or get it so that it logs to a table and then send you a mail, many different ways.

• anthony.green (5/17/2012)

This will point you in the right direction if you dont have the traceflags enabled on your instances

Will need to refactor the job to send the mail, or get it so that it logs to a table and then send you a mail, many different ways.

Thanks Anthony.

Vinu Vijayan

• anthony.green (5/17/2012)

This will point you in the right direction if you dont have the traceflags enabled on your instances

Hi Anthony, I'm kinda new to this so don't know about all the pre-requisites for accomplishing this. The link was pretty useful and I think that I might be able to accomplish it going by the way it is done in the link.

Are there any Pre-requisite settings and configurations I have to do to get this working?

Suppose, I am working on a fresh installation of SQL Server 2008, then would I be able to accomplish this task just by doing all the things mentioned in the link and re-factoring it to send the mail??...Or do I have to configure or tweak some settings as well??

Vinu Vijayan

• vinu512 (5/17/2012)

Are there any Pre-requisite settings and configurations I have to do to get this working?

There a pre-requisite. Go to SQL Agent properties Alert System tab and enable "Replace tokens for all job responses to alerts".

SQL Agent service restart may be needed.

I would encourage to configure a deadlock alert on any non-production server firstly. I should take less than one hour. It is not that complicated.

If you find any issues, post it here.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply