Database Mail

  • I use Database Mail in SQL Server 2005 to send quite a few reports out each day. I would say that this process works fine about 99% of the time. However, once in a while, the reports don't get through to their intended recipients.

    When I check into the Database Mail logs for a particular missing report, each time the log states "Mail Successfully Sent". When I had our IT Department check into the missing e-mails, they have told me that the Exchange Server never received the e-mails. By the way, I should add that all of these reports are internal to people within our domain.

    I still suspect that this problem falls outside of the performance of the SQL Server, but I offered to try and do some more thorough investigation. Since the log simply states success, how do I go about digging deeper? Are there additional logging options? Retries?

    My goal is to provide a higher level of reliability of delivery. Whether this means working with IT to change some functionality of Exchange or me changing SQL Server.

    Any input will be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks,

    Scott

  • Frankly, this sounds more like an SMTP issue.

    [font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

  • I agree that the problem almost certainly lies with smtp, but I am looking for some help on convincing my IT guys. Any ideas?

    Right now Database Mail says it worked. Exchange says it didn't get it. One of them must be lying!

    Thanks,

    Scott

  • Actually, with SMTP, I they can both be telling the truth, especially if you have relay servers or an external Exchange host provider.

    SMTP is not a guaranteed delivery protocol/service. Just because SQL Server SENT it successfully, does not mean that it will even get to the Exchange server successfully.

    [font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

  • Finally, after intermittent problems over two months, I went and stood in the cube of one of our IT staff. It turns out that there was a spam filter running on the Exchange Server that they thought was turned off ...

  • Unfortunately this is more common than you might think. I have met very few Exchange Administrators who actually had a good handle on what their spam & virus filters were doing and which ones were actually running. (I assume that this is some reporting/monitoring/visibility problem on their side)

    [font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

  • Do you want to share what spam filter they had on.

    I have same thing - i got case open with MS Boys who don't know what it is either.

    Sometimes i get the Emails then sometimes i don't then 4 hours later viola they come in.

    I do notice on my the unsent is in the DATABASE Mail logs.

    I am still on with MS so i will see what happens.

  • It was a Trend Micro spam filter running on the server.

  • Was this running on the exchange server...........

  • Yes, it was running on the Exchange Server.

    Scott

  • I see if i can get the login and go look myself - cheers.

    Its the strangest thing for me sometimes they fire then hours later they don't then they run on time...........strange...it not just one server it two servers so it has to be exchange lol but i got to show the guys somehow.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply