Database Issue--Please Help

• Hello friends,

I am trying to create one database and tables through DDL, I’ve everything in one window and when I run the following query I get the error message that the database does not exist. Not sure why this is happening since in the query the first statement is to create database after that I used the Use command to use the newly created database so that table DDL can create the tables in the newly created database but I get an error below

Msg 911, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Database 'test' does not exist. Make sure that the name is entered correctly.

My Script

USE [master]

GO

/****** Object: Database [test] Script Date: 01/30/2012 08:46:45 ******/

CREATE DATABASE [test] ON PRIMARY

( NAME = N'test', FILENAME = N'D:\DBDATA\DATA1\DATA\test.mdf' , SIZE = 133120KB , MAXSIZE = 4194304KB , FILEGROWTH = 131072KB )

LOG ON

( NAME = N'test_log', FILENAME = N'D:\DBLOGS\LOG1\LOGS\test_log.ldf' , SIZE = 132096KB , MAXSIZE = 1048576KB , FILEGROWTH = 131072KB )

GO

ALTER DATABASE [test] SET COMPATIBILITY_LEVEL = 100

GO

IF (1 = FULLTEXTSERVICEPROPERTY('IsFullTextInstalled'))

begin

EXEC [test].[dbo].[sp_fulltext_database] @action = 'enable'

end

GO

ALTER DATABASE [test] SET ANSI_NULL_DEFAULT OFF

GO

ALTER DATABASE [test] SET ANSI_NULLS OFF

GO

ALTER DATABASE [test] SET ANSI_PADDING OFF

GO

ALTER DATABASE [test] SET ANSI_WARNINGS OFF

GO

ALTER DATABASE [test] SET ARITHABORT OFF

GO

ALTER DATABASE [test] SET AUTO_CLOSE OFF

GO

ALTER DATABASE [test] SET AUTO_CREATE_STATISTICS ON

GO

ALTER DATABASE [test] SET AUTO_SHRINK OFF

GO

ALTER DATABASE [test] SET AUTO_UPDATE_STATISTICS ON

GO

ALTER DATABASE [test] SET CURSOR_CLOSE_ON_COMMIT OFF

GO

ALTER DATABASE [test] SET CURSOR_DEFAULT GLOBAL

GO

ALTER DATABASE [test] SET CONCAT_NULL_YIELDS_NULL OFF

GO

ALTER DATABASE [test] SET NUMERIC_ROUNDABORT OFF

GO

ALTER DATABASE [test] SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER OFF

GO

ALTER DATABASE [test] SET RECURSIVE_TRIGGERS OFF

GO

ALTER DATABASE [test] SET DISABLE_BROKER

GO

ALTER DATABASE [test] SET AUTO_UPDATE_STATISTICS_ASYNC OFF

GO

ALTER DATABASE [test] SET DATE_CORRELATION_OPTIMIZATION OFF

GO

ALTER DATABASE [test] SET TRUSTWORTHY OFF

GO

ALTER DATABASE [test] SET ALLOW_SNAPSHOT_ISOLATION OFF

GO

ALTER DATABASE [test] SET PARAMETERIZATION SIMPLE

GO

ALTER DATABASE [test] SET READ_COMMITTED_SNAPSHOT OFF

GO

ALTER DATABASE [test] SET HONOR_BROKER_PRIORITY OFF

GO

ALTER DATABASE [test] SET READ_WRITE

GO

ALTER DATABASE [test] SET RECOVERY FULL

GO

ALTER DATABASE [test] SET MULTI_USER

GO

ALTER DATABASE [test] SET PAGE_VERIFY CHECKSUM

GO

ALTER DATABASE [test] SET DB_CHAINING OFF

GO

EXEC sys.sp_db_vardecimal_storage_format N'test', N'ON'

GO

USE [test]

GO

/****** Object: Table [dbo].[test2] Script Date: 01/30/2012 08:46:47 ******/

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

SET ANSI_PADDING ON

GO

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[test2](

[CompanyID] [int] NULL,

[Location] [varchar](50) NULL

) ON [PRIMARY]

GO

SET ANSI_PADDING OFF

GO

/****** Object: Table [dbo].[test] Script Date: 01/30/2012 08:46:47 ******/

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

SET ANSI_PADDING ON

GO

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[test](

[ID] [int] NULL,

[Name] [varchar](50) NULL

) ON [PRIMARY]

GO

SET ANSI_PADDING OFF

GO

• Any error in creating the database?

I've seen errors on Use commands before, like what you're getting, when there was a problem with the database being created.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• The SQL query is first compiled and then executed. Some SQL statements will allow you to use optimistic name resolution to refer to objects that have not yet been created, but USE is not one of them. The USE statement won't compile, because the object it refers to has not been created yet. Since the statement won't compile, it can't be executed.

Separate your database creation script from the rest of your scripts somehow. I would recommend having two separate files, but you could use dynamic SQL if they absolutely have to be in one file.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• drew.allen (1/30/2012)

Separate your database creation script from the rest of your scripts somehow.

It's already separate. There's a GO after the create database, so any statements after that will parse and compile after the database has been created (assuming the create doesn't fail)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • sqlquest2575 (1/30/2012)

Msg 911, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Database 'test' does not exist. Make sure that the name is entered correctly.

Did the create database throw any error? Which line does that refer to? (double-click the error to go to the line)

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• You will see that error if you parse the code in SSMS, running it should work though. Odd.

• Thank you guys for your quick reply if i run my script (Db creation and Table Creation) together, I get an error but if I run DB creation and Table creating scripts individually they work fine but again if i use the script the way i posted above ...i get an error...

• I just copy-and-pasted your script into SSMS and ran it. I had to remove the drive/file specification for the database, but otherwise left it as-is.

I got the same error when I clicked on the Parse button in SSMS, but did *not* get an error when I just executed the script. Does that match what you were doing, or did you get the error when you tried to execute the script?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• i got the error even while execution and also parsing the query..not sure how it worked for you

• What version and edition of SQL Server did you run it on? I'm on 2008 R2 SP1 Dev Edition.

Property of The Thread

• Runs fine on SQL 2008 SP3 too.

Gail Shaw

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply