Database Integrity Check - Maintenance Plan Vs T-sql command

• Hi,

We have SQL Server 2005 EE with SP3 and have 52 databases and using weekly Maintenance job for DBCC CHECKDB.

Question:

What is difference between using Maintenance paln for DBCC CHECKDB and just using t-sql command DBCC CHECKDB (DB_NAME) WITH NO_INFOMSGS?

I mean SQL Agent job for DBCC CHECKDB for the 52 databases, by having the job steps as below

DBCC CHECKDB (DB1) WITH NO_INFOMSGS

Go

DBCC CHECKDB (DB2) WITH NO_INFOMSGS

GO

DBCC CHECKDB (DB52) WITH NO_INFOMSGS

Which one is the best method? Maintenance plan or having t-sql statements as above? and why

Thanks

• I prefer scripting everything I can. I want to know exactly what is happening, no surprises. You can easily port a script to another server if need be or make a quick line change without redoing a wizard.

• raistlinx (9/27/2010)

I prefer scripting everything I can. I want to know exactly what is happening, no surprises. You can easily port a script to another server if need be or make a quick line change without redoing a wizard.

I agree with this. I know people who use maintenance plans and have no issues, but I prefer to do everything with my own scripts/jobs.

In your case, you could set up a cursor to run through all databases on the server and get the same results as the maintenance plan job.

• I understand that the manageability and clear visibility to do the work with t-sql scripts. But I just want to make sure that the functionality done by the Database Integrity Maintenance plan task and T-sql is same or not?

Thank you

• Yes, functionally it is the same.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply