Database in recovery pending state

• In our live environment we had Alwayson configured but for some reason it was causing instability to database and we got lots of timeout expired errors also
    Unable to access availability database 'xxxx' because the database replica is not in the PRIMARY or SECONDARY role. Connections to an availability database is permitted only when the database replica is in the PRIMARY or SECONDARY role. Try the operation again later  
    The DB admin stopped synchronization and errors are gone but somehow today all of a sudden the database is unreachable we can't connect to it.
    He did a restart and db turned into recovery pending mode.
    I tried to check error logs on sql and found the following error
    Unfortunately i don't have now access to windows error logs but if needed i will try to get them.
    Unfortunately we had to restart from the last differential backup and lost about one hour of live work but we really need to know why this problem happened and what should have we done to fix it we had to make restore as there was no time and live system was down

The SQL Server Network Interface library could not register the Service Principal
    Name (SPN) [ MSSQLSvc/xxx-xx.xxx.xx ] for the SQL Server service. Windows return code: 0xffffffff, state: 43.
    Failure to register a SPN might cause integrated authentication to use NTLM instead of Kerberos

Also when i ran command to bring database online i got the following error.

Msg 5181, Level 16, State 5, Line 1
    Could not restart database "xxxx". Reverting to the previous status.
    Msg 5069, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    ALTER DATABASE statement failed.
    Msg 35262, Level 17, State 1, Line 1
    Skipping the default startup of database xxxx' because the database belongs to an availability group (Group ID: 65537). The database will be started by the availability group. This is an informational message only. No user action is required.
    The old database(recovery pending) is still in that state, don't know what should we do about it.

Regards
    Nader

• have you tried removing the secondary database from the availability group and re initialse it

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Thank you i already restored the last differential backup but wanted to know the reason for problem.
    The old problematic database is still in recovery pending mode we left it like that to try to find out reason for issue.
    Regards
    Nader

• nadersam - Sunday, June 11, 2017 12:32 AM

Thank you i already restored the last differential backup but wanted to know the reason for problem.

Can you answer Perry's question?

Perry Whittle - Wednesday, June 7, 2017 7:21 AM

have you tried removing the secondary database from the availability group and re initialse it

Perry's the AG expert around here.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks for you reply Gail
    The problem is i am not a DB Admin but my company relies on me on matters related to performance tuning, the Alwayson setup was not done by me and i am not very much aware of it so i was afraid to do anything that could cause any other problems on live database server.
    Will doing that have any consequences knowing that we restored the last backup of db with a new name and removed it from Alwayson.

Regards
    Nader

• Hi Nadersam,

You also have to check the Windows Server Failover cluster. Is your Cluster core group resources online or offline?
    If it is offline, you have to bring it online.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply