Database in recovery at startup

• Hi,

We needed to reboot our sql server (2008 r2) and now the database is in recovery. I understand why this happens and would like some help in preventing this in the future.

Ive been using dbcc opentran to check for any running transactions (there were none) and also sp_who2.

Both of these i thought (opentran said no active transactions) would let me know if anything was running.

Can people please provide some suggestions on what I really should be checking before a server/service restart ?

I can provide as much info as needed - im just currently unsure on what is required at this point.

I appreciate any help.

• Perfectly normal.What SQL has to do at startup is to open each database and run recovery on it. You can't prevent it, it's a required process.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Im not looking at preventing it but I am hoping to limit the amount of time it takes if its at all possible.

Based on the log file im currently looking at around 3 hours for recovery to finish for one database but the other 4 happened in seconds.

Are there any checks i need or should run before a server or service restart ?

• No, but you probably want to ensure that you don't have VLF fragmentation and that there;s sufficient IO bandwidth.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks for the reply.

I will check the VLF fragmentation when the database is backup although im hoping it will be ok since i ran through an article about it a month ago and sorted it all out then.

Yes the disk IO isnt great and we are upgrading in the next few weeks.

I think I will put it down to IO for the time being until its recovered.

Thanks for the help its always appreciated.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply