Database file move

• Hi Guys,

We have a disk space issue on one of the drive where SQL Server files are located (system dbs,user dbs and others). We are planning to replace this drive with New Drive having same old drive letter. How to do this ? Actually my idea is: stop sql services, rename old drive to other drive letter, add new drive with Old drive letter name. Copy all files from Old drive to New drive, then start sql services. Will this work or not ? any suggesstions ?? help me

AKP

• That sounds like a good plan. I assume you can lose the use of the SQL Server for a while.

• AKP (3/1/2010)

Hi Guys,

We have a disk space issue on one of the drive where SQL Server files are located (system dbs,user dbs and others). We are planning to replace this drive with New Drive having same old drive letter. How to do this ? Actually my idea is: stop sql services, rename old drive to other drive letter, add new drive with Old drive letter name. Copy all files from Old drive to New drive, then start sql services. Will this work or not ? any suggesstions ?? help me

AKP

That should work, let users know that you are doing this activity and take required down time,before doing that backup all your databases and then if backup runs for couple of minutes say more than 20 minutes or so, then take transaction log backup for the last time and then you can bring down the sql server for carrying out the activity.

So that in the event of any isssue, you can restore databases till the point in time.

I would suggest you to do this during weekend.

• thanks for your quick reply. But I am wondering that whether the OLD disk have some configurations attached with SQL SERVER ENgine. IS there any better plan this mine one ?

thanks

AKP

• AKP (3/1/2010)

thanks for your quick reply. But I am wondering that whether the OLD disk have some configurations attached with SQL SERVER ENgine. IS there any better plan this mine one ?

AKP

No SQL Server engingedoesn't have any configurations with drive.

Also as you are copying the entire files, that shouldn't be a problem.

• you might as well just add the new drive(s) and move some of your current db files to the new location.

Keep in mind you need to copy the folder structures and the ACLs !

So your service account can access your files !

rem /T Creates directory structure, but does not copy files. Does not include empty directories or subdirectories.

rem /T /E includes empty directories and subdirectories.

rem /O Copies file ownership and ACL information

xcopy e:\MSSQL.1\MSSQL F:\MSSQL.1\MSSQL /E /T /O

Also have a look at this article http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Administration/65896/

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• ALZDBA (3/1/2010)

you might as well just add the new drive(s) and move some of your current db files to the new location.

Yes, if you can keep the old drive, and add the new drive, you could leave the system databases where they are, and move user databases to the new drive. Then you would only require downtime of the particular databases while they are being moved, not the whole system and would not have to stop & start SQL. Hard to know the best option from here, but there may be more than 1 choice.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply