Database Email Test Passes - Notify Operator Task Fails

• Hi Folks

I have checked everything I can think of and hav researched, but I cannot figure out why my Notify Operator Tasks are failing when I run a Maint Plan job. Operator is set up, Profile is set up, Database Mail test works,

Executed as user: LOSANGELES-2K\llspsqlservice. ...00 for 64-bit Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1984-2005. All rights reserved. Started: 2:29:53 PM Progress: 2009-07-07 14:29:55.74 Source: {80B1D56C-48E3-4F64-A259-07432D155389} Executing query "DECLARE @GUID UNIQUEIDENTIFIER EXECUTE msdb..sp".: 100% complete End Progress Progress: 2009-07-07 14:29:56.21 Source: Check Database Integrity Executing query "USE [AdventureWorks] ".: 100% complete End Progress Progress: 2009-07-07 14:29:57.64 Source: Check Database Integrity Executing query "DBCC CHECKDB WITH NO_INFOMSGS ".: 100% complete End Progress Progress: 2009-07-07 14:29:57.65 Source: Check Database Integrity Executing query "USE [AdventureWorksDW] ".: 100% complete End Progress Progress: 2009-07-07 14:29:58.93 Source: Check Database Integrity Executing query "DBCC CHECKDB WITH NO_INFOMSGS ".: 100% complete End Progress Progress: 2009-07-07 ... The package execution fa... The step failed.

Thanks

Jim

• What version of SQL Server 2005 are you using? Earlier versions required SQL Server Agent Alert system to be configured before the Notify Operator task would work.

This was fixed in a later service pack/cumulative update (I don't know which one).

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Hi Jeffrey

I am running:

Microsoft SQL Server Developer Edition (64-bit)9.00.3042.00 SP2

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio9.00.3042.00

Jim

• Did you validate that the SQL Server Agent Alert system has been setup?

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

• Hi Jeffery

not sure how to check that

I have tested DMail

I have run a EXEC msdb.dbo.sp_send_dbmail test

they both work fine

Thanks

Jim

• Right-click on SQL Server Agent, go to properties and select the Alert page and verify that this is configured for Database Mail.

Not sure this will fix your problem.

Jeffrey Williams

― Charles R. Swindoll

• Hi Jeffrey

that looks good

but here is what i found out

it seems that after you create your accounts and profiles, you "HAVE" to select a default one to use

and if you do not, which I had not, it will not work. After chossing one as my default, the

Maint Plan Notifications work and I get my emails

Problem is that it will only use the profile i have selected as my default and not any others, unless I make it a default, so I am not sure how Profiles and Accounts really work at this point.

Thanks

Jim

• I didn't even think about that issue, although I have run into it a couple of times. Normally, it shows up in the history for the maintenance plan on that step and tells you why it failed.

The reason you need a default is because the Notify Operator Task uses the default profile. The procedure to send mail has the profile as an optional parameter. If not passed, it uses the default profile - and of course, the programmers who built that task did not set it up for you to select.

I only setup and use a single profile, but I could see setting up different profiles to be used by different users and/or jobs. I just don't have a need to do so.

Jeffrey Williams

― Charles R. Swindoll

• Thanks Jeffrey

for all your input

I am sure I will have more issues as I progress

Jim

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply