database crashed

• if your database crashed and you cannot get in/login what is the first thing you have to do?

• Define 'crashed'

What's the situation? What's happened? What are the errors?

If you want very first thing I'd do - notify business that there is a problem, notify management that there's a problem and get my latest backups copied to the the server if they're not already there.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • You do have backups?

CEWII

• Elliott Whitlow (10/26/2011)

You do have backups?

I suspect this is a interview/theoretical question (at least I hope it is)

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GilaMonster (10/26/2011)

Elliott Whitlow (10/26/2011)

You do have backups?

I suspect this is a interview/theoretical question (at least I hope it is)

You may be right.

CEWII

• yea it was an interview question?

Yea I have backup, but the question is you cannot even log into the smss to restore your back up.

well i said i will copy the errors into notepad and then post it here for help. But i guess no one will have patient

to wait. lol!

what will be the best approach or answer

• Step 1: Identify exactly what is wrong, because no resolution is possible until we know exactly what's wrong. Could be that a restore isn't even necessary, so a massive waste (of time and data) to kick one off without checking

Gail Shaw

• If my database crashed and I can't get in, I check check services and stop and start and see if they can come up.

If services fail to start, you need to start SQL Server in single-user mode and see what happens as SQL Server is coming up and look for errors.

you can also find information in the Server Event Logs giving you error.

After you've identified the problem, fix it.

• gissah (10/27/2011)

well i said i will copy the errors into notepad and then post it here for help. But i guess no one will have patient

to wait. lol!

lol, great answer!

I'd go with what Gail said. Notify the appropriate people. Find what the problem is by checking windows logs, SQL error logs, other 3rd party logs if any. Determine what the problem is and act appropriately.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Forum posting etiquette.[/url] Get your answers faster.

• Thanks all for your answers. They are all helpful

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply