database consistency report

• I am afraid this is going to sound stupid as soon as I say it, but here goes.

I ran the database consistency on 2 databases, the first little used (and relatively new), the other much more active. On the little used db the report didn't return any lines. On the much more active DB it returned 6 lines (one each for the last 6 days). They all reported 0 errors. Should I be concerned that the one database is actually reporting information, even if it appears to tell me "all clear"?

<><
    Livin' down on the cube farm. Left, left, then a right.

• Without seeing the 'six lines' which you refer to, no idea.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • OK. Sorry about that.

I am just shutting down my system to head into my workplace. I will update this space when I am re-connected.

Thanks.

<><

• Here is a screen shot of the report. I appreciate your help. I have always appreciated your opinions, even if I find your user name intimidating for some reason. Maybe it is the guy with the light-saber. 🙂

[OK. HERE is a screen shot of the report].

<><

• All I can tell from that is that CheckDB is scheduled to run daily and is running daily.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• OK. That is a good thing I guess. Evidently one of the other admins turned that on. I was concerned that maybe they started appearing because SQL Server "thought" there might have been an issue/

Appreciate the help.

<><

• SQL will never, under any circumstances, run CheckDB automatically. That would be a very bad thing.

Gail Shaw

• Another good thing to know.

Is that because of a performance hit?

<><

• Same reasons SQL won't automatically take backups or automatically create indexes for you, impossible to decide correctly for all possible situations and guessing wrongly could open MS to liabilities.

Gail Shaw

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply