DATABASE BAckup from 2005 exp to sqlserver 2000

• Backup taken from sql server 2005 exp edition is not restored in sql server 2000. i also tried attaching database that too fails. what are the alternatives? i hav tables,views,DB diagrams and SP.

• Hi

AFAIK there is no way to restore a 2005 backup on 2000. Script your whole database schema and execute the scrip on the destination SS2000. Use BCP to copy the data.

Greets

Flo

• Databases can never be downgraded. The internal database version and changes to design of the system tables prevent that

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Even if you script things, there are possibly names, identifiers, keywords, etc that are not valid on SQL 2000.

What are you trying to do? Can you not install SQL 2005 on the server that will get the restore.

• You CAN export tables from SQL2005 to SQL2000. I just had to do that last week. May or may not give you the results you need.

• Hi

C Schaefer (11/2/2009)

You CAN export tables from SQL2005 to SQL2000. I just had to do that last week. May or may not give you the results you need.

Would you like to share how? 🙂

• IIRC, you can use the Import/Export utility (SSIS) to transfer data (and can create the tables, but may be some other requirements) between SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2000.

• Right click the database in SQL2005, select EXPORT DATA under TASKS and follow The Wiz. This really just exports data, but if you select the target as a SQL2000 database, it will create the table and name the columns as they are in SQL2005. You need to create the database manually and select it as the target. This won't get you indexes and primary keys (I don't think so anyway) and the like, but it will put the data and columns in SQL2000, and you can script the other parts in 2005 and apply them if you need them. Note that if you have incompatible data types, ie types not supported in 2000, this is not as easy. Haven't done that, so I don't know an easy way to suggest.

• Yep, this works fine (with the restrictions you mentioned). That's why I suggested to use BCP.

Only problem, the OP wrote (s)he tries to restore a backup.

Greets

Flo

• C Schaefer (11/2/2009)

You CAN export tables from SQL2005 to SQL2000. I just had to do that last week. May or may not give you the results you need.

Export/import, yes. Backup/restore or detach/attach, no.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply