Data Warehouse as a Service

• I was reading an article presented by Kognitio recently. Now considering an enterprise approach is it feasible to take it's DW solutions to the cloud.

As far as I am aware, this is also one of the untouched area of cloud model. Suggestions Welcome.

Raunak J

• Raunak Jhawar (10/14/2010)

I was reading an article presented by Kognitio recently. Now considering an enterprise approach is it feasible to take it's DW solutions to the cloud.

As far as I am aware, this is also one of the untouched area of cloud model. Suggestions Welcome.

Cloud is nothing but a virtualized platform, you can install whatever you want there including a DWH.

On the other hand, since most Cloud providers are going to offer you either Windows or Linux platform you probably don't want to move there a serious multi-terabyte DWH environment currently running on top of the line HP Superdome or IBM Regatta.

In regards to the other question... DWH as-a-service, I don't think you can offer DWH as-a-service no matter the platform. All DWH are different, DWH is not an ERP or HHRR application.

Hope this helps.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply