Data Vices

• jpowers (12/5/2008)

Re: smoking - a study came out about 15 years ago which proved that the chemicals in smoking stimulated the endorphin center in the brain, which is why it is so hard to kick the habit.

Which reminds me: one of the things they mentioned in the Smoking Cessation talk I attended is that they are working on a nicotine "vaccine" (designed for teenagers) that blocks the endorphin reaction, so the new smoker doesn't get that "high" and never starts the habit.

• Lynn Pettis (12/5/2008)

Laurie Dunn (12/5/2008)

Just the mentioning of Diet Dr. Pepper caused me to go get one. I am weak for its fizzy goodness.

I really loved the Diet Berries & Cream Dr Pepper, but they dropped it saying it wasn't selling. Heck, our neighborhood Safeway couldn't keep it on the shelves!

I love Pibb Zero...tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper than Diet Dr. Pepper does, but isn't quite as sweet.

--
    Anye Mercy
    "Service Unavailable is not an Error" -- John, ENOM support
    "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -- Inigo Montoya in "Princess Bride"
    "Civilization exists by geologic consent, subject to change without notice." -- Will Durant

• abba (12/5/2008)

My biggest vice is chocolate. (I was surprised I had to reach the 3rd or 4th page before anyone even mentioned chocolate!) I love chocolate. I consume waaaaay too much chocolate -- candy, cookies, cake, ice cream, muffins, scones, tortes, etc. The more chocolate-y it is, the better. In fact, if it is a dessert and it is not chocolate, it is just not worth the extra calories to me, so I won't even eat it.

Chocolate, a vice? Nonsense. It is like love: without it life is not worth living.

• Reading about the different diets everyone has used, I thought I'd share my experience. Please remember, I have been an active Soccer Official since January 2003, so for 20 weeks out of the year plus a few tournaments in February, June, July, and August I am doing a lot of running.

In January 2005, at 215 lbs, I decided it was time to lose weight. By the end of 2005 I was down to around 180 lbs, which is still about where I am (the last few weeks, I have actually by slightly under that, which is GREAT!), but would still like to lose another 15 to 20 lbs.

I didn't do any of the diets mentioned. Initially, I stopped drinking regular Dr Pepper (yes, I know the Diet Dr Pepper isn't that good for me either, but...), started using a smaller plate at dinner time and made sure I could see the plate around the food (portion control), and stopped the grazing while doing the dishes (still graze a little when we have flank steak, never any leftovers with that dish). I have always loved salads, so I try to have more salads with dinner.

After losing my job in Denver in March 2005 and was unemployed for 2 months, my wife and I would go for a 3 mile walk every morning incorporating the walk with taking our youngest to school (that alone is .5 miles). After I started working again, I kept walking every day taking a mile to 2 mile walk at lunch time.

Joined the Y a little over a year ago, and have been good at going to the gym except during soccer season. Not much free time then. Only problem right now is getting back into the habit of going to the gym. To lose more weight, I'm sure there are two things I need to do. First, quit drinking my sodas. Second, increase my level of exercise.

I have never been a big eater of sweets and such, so that isn't too much of an issue with me. I like the occasional candy bar, and there are a few desserts that my wife makes that I love (spice cake, pineapple upside down cake to name a couple).

I guess I just decided to make a change in my behaviour and have managed to keep it going.

• Anye Mercy (12/5/2008)

Lynn Pettis (12/5/2008)

Laurie Dunn (12/5/2008)

Just the mentioning of Diet Dr. Pepper caused me to go get one. I am weak for its fizzy goodness.

I really loved the Diet Berries & Cream Dr Pepper, but they dropped it saying it wasn't selling. Heck, our neighborhood Safeway couldn't keep it on the shelves!

I love Pibb Zero...tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper than Diet Dr. Pepper does, but isn't quite as sweet.

I drink Pibb at restaurants that don't have Dr Pepper, I'll have to give Pibb Zero a try.

• I'm practically perfect in every way. :hehe:

Paul DB

• Dang, forgot my waders! :w00t:

• My vice is non-action. I need some time to myself every day to sit around and do nothing (maybe read or watch tv, but not always) or i go a little crazy.

I also have difficulty remaining responsible in work-related matters when i'm not actually at work. Specifically, i find it too easy to skip work; particularly after a night of little sleep and/or heavy drinking.

I do smoke, but i'm not trying to quit. It just goes too well with drinking (beer, in particular).

• Paul DB (12/5/2008)

I'm practically perfect in every way. :hehe:

Or, as a good friend of mine used to say: Mary &!%$#@ Poppins Perfect!

😛

• Paul DB (12/5/2008)

I'm practically perfect in every way. :hehe:

And my only vice is never having been wrong. 😛

• My personal vice is procrastination. I too have something else more important to do than read 6 pages of other people’s problems. I know that the first round of requirements is not going to be at all closely related to the final round, but procrastinating on it means I get less input for the final product. SciAm Mind has a cover article on how to stop procrastinating, but…(you know what is coming next don’t you)…I haven’t read it yet.

RE smoking/dieting/sodas: Everything in your brain and entire body works better when you exercise! If you don’t get some form of exercise multiple times a week you will create an almost insurmountable hill for yourself as far as quitting anything is concerned. You body was designed to do its best thinking when hungry. Exercise means food is coming and the body reacts by releasing the same endorphins as smoking, chocolate and sex. For the person who needs ephedrine to get going, try an extreme sport instead. I highly recommend karate. Nothing like getting you’re @$$ kicked to make you feel alive. Did you see the Mythbusters sobering techniques episode?

Manny, here is the best advice I have. My last cig was July 2007. I did a lot of research. I hope this helps.

1. Get an alternate form of nicotine. I used the new mint flavored nicotine lozenges.

2. Start some form of exercise. Dogs are a great way to exercise. If you walk them morning and night, you don’t have to pick up the poop in the back yard on Saturdays.

3. Find something for your hands to do. For my hands, I started carrying a pen everywhere. I have since become a pen-twirler. :w00t:

4. Push out you first cig of the day. Use the nicomints or put on a fresh patch.. I would tell myself that I could put off my first smoke for 10 minutes. I quickly got to the point that I could wait until I got in the car to have my first. After a few months I could wait until after I put my lunch in the fridge at work.

5. Use the same technique to put off your smoke breaks at work. I would tell myself, “wait just another 10 minutes, what is 10 minutes to me?” When I could stand it no longer I would go smoke. The mints come in handy here as well.

6. Once you are doing the above, combine those things with not smoking the whole cig. It usually only took about 5 drags for my brain to relax its hold on my conscience. Then I would put it out.

7. Cig breaks are also very social. You need to make friends that don’t smoke. You don’t have to give up the others (see 8 below); you just have to have someone to talk to as you enjoy a mint flavored drug. When people find out that you are annoying them because you are quitting, they will return the favor by telling you their quitting stories and then you will feel like you have been social.

8. Some people respond well to competition; if you are one of them, use it to your advantage. Sometimes when the conversation is good the whole group will have a second cig before going back in. I would make sure I was the last one to light up a cig and be the first one to put it out. I would get happy if I could leave more than half of a cig unsmoked. Use this principle for the second one as well. If you have a smoking buddy trying to quit, compete directly with them.

9. Exercise. I know I said it twice. It is that important.

10. Sleep. Talk to your doctor about sleep aides if you can’t do this on your own.

11. Psychotherapy. Are you depressed? Do you have an anxiety disorder? Or just learn to meditate; there is new research from cancer patients supporting the endocrine benefits of meditation.

12. The hardest was staying out of bars. You have to do it for at least a month once you can get down to 1 or 2 cigs a day. Luckily, Colorado passed a law prohibiting smoking in bars and I returned to supporting the local musicians around Denver.

These things are ways to help your motivation improve and your desire for a cigarette to decrease.

I hope this helps you a little.

Thank you all for sharing. Some posts have helped me.

• pmcpherson,

Fantastic advice!!!!! Thank you so much for the specifics!

• Good call Steve. The best way to improve our interactions with others is understand how we ourselves work and (try to!) change the things we're not happy with 😛

I'm still working on my intolerance of fools. I get hugely frustrated by people who should know better; be they managers, staff or suppliers (I don't have an issue with customers, as it's part of my role to educate them). Those who don't bother to think something thru or check out options/best practice etc really rile me. So...... my chill out respone is "time out" and nicatine!

• harryandrsn (12/5/2008)

...I get hugely frustrated by people who should know better...my chill out respone is "time out" and nicatine!

:ermm:

Beer's Law: Absolutum obsoletum
    "if it works it's out-of-date"

• Andy Lennon (12/5/2008)

My vice is non-action. I need some time to myself every day to sit around and do nothing . . .

Oh, yeah! I forgot about that one - by the time I get home from work, I just want to veg. I hate it when I do that! I generally have a whole list of things I want to get done in my personal life, and don't get them done. I think I'll make this my new vice to work on. Thanks for reminding me.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 104 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply