Data Vices

• david.murden (12/5/2008)

I don't even enjoy smoking any more, i started when i was young, immature and stupid and like most others i wish i never had. I will give up one day but i do find it hard as i am surrounded by smokers at work and home.

I've been an ex-smoker for 20 years. Sometimes I still think I might like a cigarette...

...then I smell stale tobacco smoke and decide not!

Derek

• Exercise - I just can't bring myself to do any exercise and my doctor already warns me about that.

But after a whole day's work, I just don't want to go to the gym instead I spend the whole night watching stupid TV shows.

Oh Yes, I need my coffee, I don't drink soda but I need my coffee badly!!!!!! At least one large cup everyday.

• My vice is more work-related. I am way too impatient to move on to something new and consequently am really bad at testing.

• My vice is my money spending habits. If someone gave me a million dollars, I would have no problem spending it in a week. I have a positive net worth, but I am constantly having the bank call me because of a missed mortgage payment. All of my pockets have holes in them. I have tried to make some spreadsheets to tell me where all of my money goes, but I still end up perplexed. I am afraid that it may be a lost cause.

If my manager is reading this, I need a raise or 2. 😀

Mia

I have come to the conclusion that the top man has one principle responsibility: to provide an atmosphere in which creative mavericks can do useful work.
    -- David M. Ogilvy

• Steve,

The Atkins diet changed my life, my relationship with and need for food, my health, my metabolism, my blood pressure, and my weight, all for the better.

I've been on his dietary regimen for about 5 years know and I'm in excellent health. I'm eating higher quality foods than I ever did before. Contrary to what most people think, it is not a weight loss diet. It's a diet for the rest of your life.

I strongly recommend that you spend $8, buy Dr. Atkins book, and go on his diet. Follow his version of the diet, not your version, especially until you get to the maintenance phase.

LC

P.S. I've reached the point where my body is so conditioned to the Atkins diet that I can cheat a little on it (beer, wine, brownies, chocolate - in moderation) and it doesn't effect me adversely.

• Cigarretts is mine. I try to quit about 2 times a year and always fail.

• Smoking and coffee are definitely the two worst vices that I see plague our development staff. Currently I do not smoke but I drink too much coffee. I've cut out soda altogether, because (a) the sugary drinks create loads of unwanted fat cells in my torso, and (b) the diet drinks are loaded with aspartame -- probably one of the most dangerous sweeteners ever produced.

However, those are not work vices. Those are personal. The work vice that I have most trouble with is my holier-than-thou attitude when it comes to development. This leads me to skip critical testing, ignore others' advice, and spend too much time writing about it in blogs. 🙂

• Procrastination and/or completing tasks that I start. This is mostly related to “personal” projects, things around the house, etc.

Beer's Law: Absolutum obsoletum
    "if it works it's out-of-date"

• For everyone commenting on smoking: In 2007 I lost my mother and sister both to cancer or cancer treatment “after affects”. My mother had quit some years earlier but the cancer still happened. My sister was still smoking, right up to the end.

If you want some incentive to quit, go into a cancer ward of any hospital and walk around. Look in on people at the various final stages of life, and look at the people that are there caring for them and the emotional cost it is having on them. Your motivation to quit should improve a lot after that.

Truthfully, it really does come down to motivation; it just has to be higher than the addiction.

Beer's Law: Absolutum obsoletum
    "if it works it's out-of-date"

• crainlee2 (12/5/2008)

Steve,

The Atkins diet changed my life, my relationship with and need for food, my health, my metabolism, my blood pressure, and my weight, all for the better.

I've been on his dietary regimen for about 5 years know and I'm in excellent health. I'm eating higher quality foods than I ever did before. Contrary to what most people think, it is not a weight loss diet. It's a diet for the rest of your life.

I strongly recommend that you spend $8, buy Dr. Atkins book, and go on his diet. Follow his version of the diet, not your version, especially until you get to the maintenance phase.

LC

P.S. I've reached the point where my body is so conditioned to the Atkins diet that I can cheat a little on it (beer, wine, brownies, chocolate - in moderation) and it doesn't effect me adversely.

I suggest he talk to his doctor about it first. I tried Atkins for one month, and didn't cheat at all. It was expensive, I didn't lose any weight (didn't gain either) AND my normally low-side-of-normal blood pressure skyrocketed.

From my research South Beach is a much healthier (not to mention more accessible) version of Atkins. I have never used it but I know many who have been successful with it.

For me, the Weight Watchers regimen of low fat, high fiber, keep track of how much you eat methodology works very well when I follow it. I lost 80 pounds out of grad school doing that plan. When I slack off, I gain weight. When I start following the plan again, it comes off. There are no forbidden foods, it's all about tradeoffs.

As for my own vices... I could say food, but really I try not to judge myself by how much I eat. I would rather learn how to let life's adversities slide off my back more, and to be more patient with others.

--
    Anye Mercy
    "Service Unavailable is not an Error" -- John, ENOM support
    "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -- Inigo Montoya in "Princess Bride"
    "Civilization exists by geologic consent, subject to change without notice." -- Will Durant

• Impulsiveness. Drives my wife crazy. I would think nothing of going out and dropping several hundred dollars on something. I'll walk by something at the store and I'll have to have it. That, and food and good beer are my weaknesses...

• Just the mentioning of Diet Dr. Pepper caused me to go get one. I am weak for its fizzy goodness.

• For me, it's my sweet tooth. I eat way too much in the way of donuts, cakes, and candy.

Best regards,

webrunner

-------------------
    A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and asks, "Can I join you?"
    Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html

• Most of my vices are personal, some are professional. The most notable ones are 1) beer 2) cigarettes 3) reactionary behavior at times and 4) desire for perfection.

Believe it or not 4 gets me into more trouble than any of the others, as it will sometimes completely consume my thoughts, especially if I made a mistake in something. More than any other vice, this one for me is the hardest to get under control. After that would have to be 3. It's relieving to see that I'm not the only one here that behaves in a reactionary fashion at times.

Oh well, every morning I get out of bed and try to improve myself. (Except for Fridays, that's Beer-Friday at my shop now, thanks in part to me) =)

Cheers!

• DEK (12/5/2008)

For everyone commenting on smoking: In 2007 I lost my mother and sister both to cancer or cancer treatment “after affects”. My mother had quit some years earlier but the cancer still happened. My sister was still smoking, right up to the end.

If you want some incentive to quit, go into a cancer ward of any hospital and walk around. Look in on people at the various final stages of life, and look at the people that are there caring for them and the emotional cost it is having on them. Your motivation to quit should improve a lot after that.

Truthfully, it really does come down to motivation; it just has to be higher than the addiction.

I too lost my mother to cancer. She started smoking before there was clear evidence it was unhealthy. I'm sure people realized it in the 60's and 70's but the detrimental effects weren't publicized like they are now.

I drink a couple cups of coffee or espresso a day to keep going but to me this is a much less worse vice than cigarettes.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 104 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply