Data Validation

• I have some validation that I want to perform. I pass in some permission information ( a bit) and some employeeids. What I want is, if the bit =1 to continue on if it is equal to 0 then I want the validation to procedure down to the a codeblock that validates the current user is a manager(this validation I have figured I just need to know how I can jump to certain code blocks and skip them based on that bit. Does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks

• Not 100% sure what you're asking here, but...

CREATE PROCEDURE IS_MGR

@STATUSFLG Bit

AS

IF (@STATUSFLG = 1)

BEGIN

(... Put Code Here...)

END

ELSE

BEGIN

(... Put Code Here...)

END

[/CODE]

--Mark Tassin
    MCITP - SQL Server DBA
    Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
    For help with Performance click this link[/url]
    For tips on how to post your problems[/url]

• So to clear things up I have a param @mgrFlag that captures the permission from the app.

Orginailly I had this:

If not exists(select 1 from EmployeeAssocTable where EmployeeID = @EnteredForEmpID and AuthorizeEmployeeID = @EnteredByEmpID)

begin

Raiserror('The current user is not a manager for this employee.',16,1)

end

so if the record doesn't exist it raises an error. What I want to do is check the override flag (the permission is to allow the current user to approve any payroll). If its one, then skip the validation up top. if it is 0 perform that validation

• tthellebuyck (4/3/2008)

So to clear things up I have a param @mgrFlag that captures the permission from the app.

Orginailly I had this:

If not exists(select 1 from EmployeeAssocTable where EmployeeID = @EnteredForEmpID and AuthorizeEmployeeID = @EnteredByEmpID)

begin

end

so if the record doesn't exist it raises an error. What I want to do is check the override flag (the permission is to allow the current user to approve any payroll). If its one, then skip the validation up top. if it is 0 perform that validation

Changes in bold should give you what you need:

If (not exists(select 1 from EmployeeAssocTable where EmployeeID = @EnteredForEmpID and AuthorizeEmployeeID = @EnteredByEmpID))

or @mgrFlag = 1

begin

end

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply