Data Typing Quandry

• SanDroid (11/18/2010)

da-zero (11/18/2010)

We would prefer your respect for the effort that the author has made to create a question so that people could learn about compression, instead of calling it "dissapointing and lame".

If you look at some of these posts several people asked the author to respond to the fact that they where not able to replicate what he described.

Why where no responses were made?

Did you learn something that was real?

Did you test the concept?

I made an opinionated response about the question and it's content and that is On Topic discussion.

IMHO: Attacking those opinions and calling them Babble and putting Off Topic mis information in the same paragraph helps nobody learn and clarifies nothing.

I do not call "dissapointing and lame" an opinionated response. I'm sure there are more people who learned something from the question (e.g. metadata overhead for compression) than learned something from the fact that there is no SQL Server definition of "defined row size". So yes, I did learn something that was real. And I did not test the concept, as it is already crystal clear.

So you can call something dissapointing and lame and call it opinionated, but if someone else calls your arguments "babble", then there is a problem.

Pot, kettle, anyone?

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• UMG Developer (11/18/2010)

SanDroid (11/18/2010)

If you look at some of these posts several people asked the author to respond to the fact that they where not able to replicate what he described.

Contrary to popular beliefs, I don't sit around all day waiting for someone to post comments. In reality, I was up at 3 AM on the day this question was posted. In the past 48 hours (Tues/Wed), I spent 21 hours in airports or on an airplane. So, i apologize that I haven't had an opportunity to read all of the comments yet much less respond to them.

My blog: SQL Soldier[/url]
    SQL Server Best Practices:
    SQL Server Best Practices
    Twitter: @SQLSoldier
    My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring[/url]
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, Data Platform MVP
    Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management[/url]

• Robert Davis (11/18/2010)

UMG Developer (11/18/2010)

Contrary to popular beliefs, I don't sit around all day waiting for someone to post comments. In reality, I was up at 3 AM on the day this question was posted. In the past 48 hours (Tues/Wed), I spent 21 hours in airports or on an airplane. So, i apologize that I haven't had an opportunity to read all of the comments yet much less respond to them.

Robert,

Good to hear from you and I do not want you to take the comment in that post out of context.

It was in a chain of responses to a post from someone that continually be-littles other posters and auithors opinions in this forum day after day.

He has even directly flamed QOTD authors in open posts.

Just recently he called a QOTD authors posted question "Stupid" and asked them to never post again.

I have respect for this persons knowledge, but have lost repsect for his words long ago.

The continual insistance that his comments and opinions are Gospel and everyone elses just Bable are shelfish, disrespectfull, and one sided.

BTW: If you can help clear up the ambiguity some of the other posters and I noticed by directing us to any documentation or training material that uses the same wording of "defined row size" you used in your question, I will happily edit my orginal post to a blank.

Much respect and thank you...

• An excellent question.

I didn't see any ambiguity in it: "defined row size" is not a reserved phrase in connection with SQL server, but then neither are most of the other phrases that occur in discussion of SQL Server - we use the English language (or sometimes other languages) and for the most part vocabulary is general English, not SQLS specific.

When I see bad questions or sloppy explanations I comment on it. I didn't see either of those here. I did see a lot of what I think are ill-considered (and in some cases mildly offensive) comments, apparently made be people who were so upset at getting it wrong that they had to attack the question (and in some cases its author) rather than admit their own inability to read plain English.

I liked Hugo's comment - and disliked the disgraceful and offensive ad hominem attack made on him by another commenter.

Tom

• Wow, I learned something good here.

Thanks

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• A bit late, granted, but I just wanted thank the author for what I considered to be a good question.

• Great question, thanks! I went for tinyint on the assumption it was 1 byte of storage and compression overhead - got it wrong, but learned something new 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply