Data Type change goofup

• I needed to change a data type from a money type to a varchar. Thne I was told that the change needed to be reversed yet I tried ALTER Table tableName ALTER COLUMN ColumnName money and it gives me an error trying to convert back. Is there another way I can do this?

• Is there data that violates the money datatype? You could always play the shell-game... create a new column of type money update the new column, drop the old column, then rename the new column back to the original name. I am sure that there are several potential pitfalls along the way like the column being a part of an index.

-- J

• I just tried this:

create table #T (

Val money)

insert into #t

select number

from dbo.numbers

alter table #t

alter column val varchar(100)

update #t

set val = '$' + val

alter table #t

alter column val money

And it worked.

That means you probably have some data in your column that can't be converted to the money data type. First, try using IsNumeric() to select any rows where the data isn't even numeric. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the rows have commas in them (thousands placeholder), which might mess up the conversion back.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Good calll, I had to delete the last four rows that had been inserted because they contained a %.

Thanks!

• Glad that worked out for you.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply