Data Type

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Data Type

• Date is one of the most requested data types and finally MS implemented it in SQL Server 2008 and i love it. The new datatypes are just one of the greate improvements in SQL Server 2008!

If you havent upgraded yet I will give you some arguments:

πŸ™‚ Data compression, I shrinked one of our database with 75%, without performance loss (4 x Quad processor can handle the increased CPU usage.

πŸ™‚ Filtered indexes, I added more (covering) indexes to improve read performance in some of the queries without any or very little loss of write performance.

πŸ™‚ User defined Table type, and the possibility to pass the table between stored procedurs ( instead of temporary tables )

πŸ™‚ Multiple value inserts within a single INSERT statement

πŸ™‚ Auditing

This is just a subset of new features that i already have implemented and i think makes it worth the effort to consider upgrading.

/HΓ₯kan Winther

/HΓ₯kan Winther
    MCITP:Database Developer 2008
    MCTS: SQL Server 2008, Implementation and Maintenance
    MCSE: Data Platform

• Got me... I didn't read the question properly. Very good πŸ˜›

• hakan.winther (7/1/2009)

Date is one of the most requested data types and finally MS implemented it in SQL Server 2008 and i love it. The new datatypes are just one of the greate improvements in SQL Server 2008!

I agree completely. It's so nice to be able to have a date without having to be concerned about the time.

• That question has one major flaw - it does not take UDTs into consideration.

I could declare a data type DATE as CHAR(5) and then the correct answer would be '09/09'

How about that?

---------------------------------------------
    [font="Verdana"]Nothing is impossible.
    It is just a matter of time and money.[/font]

• I've just executed it on my SQL 2005 and it returns a result of 2008-10-09 00:00:00.

How strange is it (or not)?

Simon Liew
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008

• I didn't see on which version of SQL Server belongs this question, I concentrate on the code and sure that miss the correct answer couz in declaration of the variable I thought that we are discussing for the SQL Server 2008!

:-P:-P:-P:-P:-P:-P:-P:-P:-P:-P:-P:-P:-P:-P:-P:-P:-P:-P:-P

============================================================
    SELECT YOUR PROBLEM FROM SSC.com WHERE PROBLEM DESCRIPTION =
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/[/url]

• Andeavour (7/1/2009)

Got me... I didn't read the question properly. Very good πŸ˜›

Me neither. D'oh! πŸ˜›

• skjoldtc (7/1/2009)

hakan.winther (7/1/2009)

Date is one of the most requested data types and finally MS implemented it in SQL Server 2008 and i love it. The new datatypes are just one of the greate improvements in SQL Server 2008!

I agree completely. It's so nice to be able to have a date without having to be concerned about the time.

It is a shame that Microsoft didnt implement Date a long time ago.

/HΓ₯kan Winther
    MCITP:Database Developer 2008
    MCTS: SQL Server 2008, Implementation and Maintenance
    MCSE: Data Platform

• Ok! Now we have choice to separate date from time declaring them as independent data types, but must have some care during development level that the date to be or not to be connected with the time!? - I think this was the problem why MS leave them together and on the other hand they added some functions detail to retrieve just time or date!

I don't know the exact reason, but now developers must be very smart how to connect date with time inside that date!!!

============================================================
    SELECT YOUR PROBLEM FROM SSC.com WHERE PROBLEM DESCRIPTION =
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/[/url]

• you got me!

• Ha! I got it right but for the wrong reason. Didn't know there was a date datatype so i figured it would throw an error. lol.

• DATE data type is of great help. I still remember that days when we had to use DATETIME data type for date and the time part was appended to it, even if we don't need it.

[font="System"]Bhavesh Patel[/font]

http://bhaveshgpatel.wordpress.com/

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply