Data sources on another domain

• Hi, bit of an odd one this.

I have a customer who wants to install SSRS on their domain but have data sources that reference SQL Server databases on my domain (Azure).

They can connect to the SQL Server instance using SSMS and do whatever they need. They use the FQDN of the SQL instance.

Creating a shared data source fails even using the exact FQDN as that used with SSMS and the exact same, SQL Authenticated, credentials.

Launching Report Builder and embedding a data source returns a fail when testing the data source connection but allows the user to create a data set on this data source and return a data-set when executing the query with Query Designer.

Including columns from this data set on a table works, but the report fails to render.

Any ideas on solutions would be most welcome.

From my online investigation it does look like we have everything we need (FQDN for the Instance and a sound set of credentials).

Thank you for your time.

All the best,

Duncan

• My advice - review the error and check the logs.

The error should tell you what is wrong, and in the event it doesn't, the logs should tell you what is wrong.

On top of that, there may be firewall rules that need to be adjusted on either the Azure side or the client side.  I would test if the client's server that hosts SSRS is able to access your database.  I would not be surprised if it was firewall related.

If they are using different machines for Report Builder and SSMS, that just doubles down my guess that it is firewall related.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply