Data Source Puzzle

• In one VS2005 project, for me, the details of a particular data source show the correct credentials and the test connection works. On my colleague's screen however, there are no credentials on the same data source. I've checked the project we're both looking at and it's the same one.

She's now updated the credentials on her screen but I still see the original ones. Since we first saw it, we've logged out and back in again but no change.

• Hi Jon,

This seems normal behaviour. I guess for security reasons the passwords that are entered cannot be shared between different computers. If you would have the dataset configures as windows authentication it would work right away. I see the same thing when I open my same project using remote desktop as opposed to my computer: I always have to re-enter the sql credentials.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Linda

• Thanks Linda, that's reassuring. Having rarely shared a report project with a colleague before I've never noticed this behaviour. Unfortunately, this means the reports with that data source don't run on the other machine, which makes sharing, or passing on, development difficult. How do you cope with that - re-enter the credentials each time?

Also, what is it storing to know that another machine is accessing the data source? Computer name, IP address?

• Hi Jon,

I haven't tried figuring out what it's exactly storing to know another machine is accessing the data source.

What I do to avoid this is using windows authentication as much as possible.

Kind regards,

Linda

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply