data source connection problem

• Hello everyone,

I'm experiencing and interesting difficulty with AS2005 that I can't really understand. The OLAP database has an Oracle data source. I set everything, test the connection: OK. I can browse the source tables in the DSV easily. I tried the built-in Oracle provider and a separately installed, official Oracle provider, too.

But when it's time to process it stops with the following error message:

OLE DB error: OLE DB or ODBC error: Class not registered.

Errors in the high-level relational engine. A connection could not be made to the data source with the DataSourceID of 'gianluca_verlee', Name of 'gianluca_verlee'.

How can it be that during the process AS2005 cannot connect, but when just browsing the tables it can?

Is it a problem with the OLAP, with the OracleProvider or with the data source? Or with some other, totally different element?

It would be great to know where to look for the error!

Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks in advance,

MartinIsti

• You aren't by any chance running on X64 are you? In that case you need to watch "context" carefully, some parts of SQL 2005 on X64 run 32-bit other parts run 64-bit...

• Thanks for the reply, Joe!

Yes, you're right it's a 64 environment. What exactly did you mean by watching the "context" carefully? How can I solve the problem?

• In this case by "context" I mean the calling application - some parts of SQL Server 2005 on X64 run 32-bit (like Visual Studio designers, parts of SSIS, ?) and other parts are 64-bit (core database engine including linked servers). Difference is that the parts that run 32-bit require/use the 32-bit oracle drivers and associated ORAHOME, 64-bit components require/use 64-bit drivers and ORAHOME. You need to have same entries in both TNSNAMEs files, etc.

Joe

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply