data source Authentication to database issues

• I have a number of SSRS data sources. I want to configure SSRS to pass the UID of the person to the SQL server for connection. If I select the option Windows Integrated Security I receive an error connecting to the DB and I am able to see the Authentication error on the SQL server side with it passing Message Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON'. [CLIENT:, If I select the option to Use as Windows credentials stored securely in the report server it prompts me for a username and password the report runs fine. I want SSRS to just pass the windows credentials when the user runs a report. How do I configure this with-in SSRS?

Thanks,

• Start reading about Kerberos security and hope that you have an admin who can help you out with this. The problem you are experiencing is called the double hop problem.

Basically, what is happening when you turn on Windows Auth on the data source, the UID of the initiator is passed to the report server. The report server then turns around and asks the data source for information. In the act of turning around, though, it's forgotten who asked for the data and just uses ANON. Helpful, isn't it? By implementing Kerberos security, you provide SSRS with a mechanism for passing the credentials of the user back to the data source instead of trying to use ANON.

It's a bit tricky to implement, but when you've done it once and documented it, it gets easier. 🙂 Good luck.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply