Data Reconciliation with Tablediff Utility

• I have recently used Tablediff utility to troubleshoot an SQL 2008R2 replication issue where there was one row on subscriber that didn't get the update from the publisher. There was no error in replication monitor.

Although clearly there was difference, Tablediff reported that the data in subscriber and publisher are identical. I ran the utility on a 40GB table, and it finished in 30 seconds. Is there gotchas on running this utility? Why did it appear to be unreliable? I was really excited about the utility and really hope it was just me not doing it correctly. Any idea? Thanks.

• Did you include the -c (Compare column-level differences) or the -q (Perform a fast comparison by only comparing row counts and schema) switch in your command?

MCITP SQL 2005, MCSA SQL 2012

• Hi RTaylor2208, yes, I have tried both switches. The results was always identical. In addition, I am more interested in tablediff's ability to compare the content of rows and provide the SQL scripts to correct non-convergence in a transactional replication setting.

• Its been a long time since I relied on the tablediff utility so it may well be a bug introduced since I last used it.

These days I'm fortunate enough to have licences for Redgate's SQL Data Compare and use this instead. If you don't already have it, give the free trial a go and see if it picks up the differences.

MCITP SQL 2005, MCSA SQL 2012

• Thank you. I have tried Regate SQL Compare. It is cool.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply