Data Publishing Wizard like program to create a script of local database

• Hello,

I am new to SQL Server 2005. I want to create a script of a database to transfer the data to another computer. But the MS's Data Publishing Wizard requires that the database is accessed remotely through TCP/IP. The instance of database is not configured to be remote but local. What other free program I can use to create the script of this database so that I can replicate it on another machine?

Thank you for any help.

• You can use the "Copy Database Wizard" which can copy or move a local database to a remote or networked database server. You probably have to add the wizard under "External Tools".

• Hello Robert,

Thank you for your reply. I am using SQL Server Express. There is no such add-on utility in Express. Any suggestion?

• I am using SQL Server Express 2008, and there are several tools available to use to manipulate the databases. If you look in the following folder:

\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE

You should see the following file:

CopyDatabaseWizard.exe

Add this as an external tool, and then you'll be able to use it to copy a database to a remote DB server.

• Hello Robert,

Thank you again for the pointer. I am using 2005 version of the SQL Express, and I could not find this file in any of the SQL installation directories. I checked the MS website. It seems it exits in SQL Server 2005 installations, but it is not available for download. Any idea where I can get it? Thank you.

• When you installed SQL Server 2005 express, did you install the 'Advanced Services' version or just the default version. You need the one with 'Advanced Services' capability.

• You can download the SQL Server 2005 Express Advanced Version here:

http://www.microsoft.com/Sqlserver/2005/en/us/express-down.aspx#advan

It's about a 230M download but is SP3 and includes all of the advanced tools.

• Hello Robert,

Thank you very much. I am now downloading this version.

Sincerely,

Cem

• Hello Robert,

I downloaded the Advanced version of SQL Server Express and installed it. Now the version is

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express9.00.4035.00

Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC)6.0.6002.18005 (lh_sp2rtm.090410-1830)

Microsoft MSXML 3.0 4.0 5.0 6.0

Microsoft Internet Explorer8.0.6001.18702

Microsoft .NET Framework2.0.50727.4016

Operating System 6.0.6002

But When I right click on the database I cannot find Database Copy under Tasks. And there are no external tools in teh Tools>External tools>Menu Contents window. I also checked the .../100/... directory, I could not find the executable for this either. Any ideas?

Cem

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply