Data Protection Manager and Log Shipping?

• I'm looking at setting up a remote database site in case our primary site is disabled.

Database Mirroring is out because it doesn't handle some of the data types we'll be storing.

So, I'm looking at doing transaction log shipping.

However, we've just set up Data Protection Manager (DPM) to do the backups.

I'm concerned that the two technologies will, to put it politely, mess each other over.

Any one have any experience with this? Any gotchas and workarounds?

• Can't you use DPM for this? From what I remember reading about this the amount transferred across the wire should be even smaller than log shipping.

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• I can get the DPM files across the wire (I already am, actually).

But that doesn't turn it automagically into a database that is ready to go as soon as I change it's server state.

I could restore each database manually, one after the other, using the DPM recovery tool. But there are hundreds of the varmints in dozens of instances so it would take some time.

If there's an automatic way to do it from DPM, I would love to learn about it. I don't have access to the DPM console (only Sys Admins do), so my ability to learn special tricks a DBA would care about is limited.

• david_wendelken (12/3/2010)

I can get the DPM files across the wire (I already am, actually).

But that doesn't turn it automagically into a database that is ready to go as soon as I change it's server state.

I could restore each database manually, one after the other, using the DPM recovery tool. But there are hundreds of the varmints in dozens of instances so it would take some time.

If there's an automatic way to do it from DPM, I would love to learn about it. I don't have access to the DPM console (only Sys Admins do), so my ability to learn special tricks a DBA would care about is limited.

I would have to believe that DPM would allow for automating restores but you would have to read up on that.

As to DPM conflicting with Log Shipping, I don't know. You would have to know what DPM is doing to the backup LSN's and if that will be impacted by the Log backups. I wouldn't THINK so but I would sure want to verify that.

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• I'm currently looking into just that for a client. So far I don't have an answer either way.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hi Gail.

Did you get anywhere with this,

My understanding is that it is one way or the other.

Although DPM is clever enough to go to express backups if log shipping is already set up.

Cheers

Daniel

• Looking at this as well. Looks like a transaction log backup OUTSIDE of DPM causes a transaction log chain invalidation error in DPM:

Log Name: DPM Alerts

Source: DPM-EM

Date: 11/2/2011 8:00:13 AM

Event ID: 3114

Task Category: None

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: xxxxxx

Description:

Creation of recovery points for xxxxx\dbname on xxxxx have failed. The last recovery point creation failed for the following reason: (ID: 3114)

DPM tried to do a SQL log backup, either as part of a backup job or a recovery to latest point in time job. The SQL log backup job has detected a discontinuity in the SQL log chain for database xxxxx\dbname since the last backup. All incremental backup jobs will fail until an express full backup runs. (ID: 30140)

Then when you right click and Perform Consistency Check in DPM console it resets itself to OK... but STILL....

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply