Data Protection

• Lately I've been getting a crash course and some information on Continuous Data Protection. Mostly because of the SQL Server Standard, which features an article on this technology in July. However, I also got a call from Timespring and spent an hour on the phone with one of their engineers, talking about their product and the ups and downs of implementing something like this.

I'm one of those people that really sees the bits as the value in a database. Not the technology, but the information. Providing access to this information is one of the places that a DBA provides a tremendous amount of value. The other place is in the area of protecting that data and ensuring its availability. That's why every DBA needs to know how to backup and restore a database, implement a cluster if that's required, setup replication, log shipping, etc.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the best at some of these technologies or processes. In fact, I've never tried to restore a database to a point in time until recently. And then it was only a practice attempt using the techniques in today's featured article by Kathi Kellenburger.

I had been asked the question a few times and usually referred people to BOL, hoping to get some time to write an article on the subject. Since time is short, I put out a call to our authors and not one, but two responded. Today we have the first article on this topic and tomorrow is the second one, giving you two looks at this seldom used, but possibly very important (like job saving important) skill.

Enjoy and give the authors some feedback. It will help them and you.

Steve Jones

• In my daily work, I have implemented a set of backup and restore strategy. The key component is to use one command to restore a DB to a point of time with a bunch of backup files (full + differential + TLog backup files).

• Steve,

How does Timedata compare with database mirroring?

--
    Adam Machanic
    whoisactive

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply