Data movement on TDE enabled database!!!

• Hey SQL Folks,

Hope all is well!

I am aware that TDE protects data at Rest and not during communication or data in motion (UNLESS you use Encrypted communication channels using SSL certs etc). Hence I am thinking of doing data export from a TDE encrypted database to a database on the instance where TDE is not enabled or supported. I believe it works and need to take care of relationships between tables. Any thoughts if my approach is correct or is there any better solutions ?

P.S. : The target database is hosted on SQL 2012 standard edition on which TDE is not supported.

• There's no 'unless'. TDE protects data at rest only, it only prevents you from restoring or attaching the database to an instance without certificates. Nothing else.

What's the ultimate goal here, why are you planning on exporting and recreating the DB?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • correct, TDE only protects the actual data files themselves at rest (and any backups created on them).

You will need to encrypt the communication channel between the endpoints, this can be done as you described or you may use IPsec policies, options are open to you but require some effort to deploy and maintain.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Thanks a ton for the response. I was checking out if it is feasible solution in order to help an application team without upgrading their dev box from sql 2012 std edition to enterprise edition.

However, can you please let me know if there would any difficulties using export & import wizard i.e. with respect to the table relationships?

• Why do you need to export/import to do a version upgrade?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply