Data masking in SQL Server 2008 R2

• What is the best way to do Data masking in SQL Server 2008 R2? or use any 3rd party tools?

Thanks,

• Here's a starting point:

Masking Personal Identifiable SQL Server Data[/url]

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Try DataVeil. It's fast & very easy to use. It has a visual (diagrammatic) interface and masks that go the extra mile. E.g. automatically detects gender of first names and replaces with same, ability to preserve partial values such as credit card prefixes and telephone area codes while masking the remainder and guaranteeing uniqueness while preserving the format of every individual value (i.e. whether each value is space separated, dash separated, preserves case, etc.) You can download a freeware version from www.dataveil.com

• There are many 3rd party data masking tools, but specific to SQL Server is Hush Hush. It does data masking with SSIS components. While example in the blog presents a simplified substitution algorithm, and is free, you will need to maintain the data and the solution - and you will have to preserve the format for specific data entities which this algorithm covers not in its entirety.

There are many aspects to data masking including those that DataVeil listed, but in essence data masking- while preserving look- and -feel of data- is a security feature. Data sets are big part of the security. In tool evaluation, you will need to take into account several things: algorithms, their strength and maintainability, ability of the solution to integrate into the common architecture of your testing solution and data management/lifecycle.The more integrated the tool is - the easier would be to use and maintain the solution. Of course, performance is also often a consideration as well as ease of use. If you want to learn more- please inquire for our webinars' recordings at info@mask-me.net, we will try to provide them within reasonable time. They cover all the above aspects in detail.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply