Data Import Wizard Fails with Violation of Primary Key Error, but there are no duplicate records

• Hello,

I am having trouble with the data import wizard.

The Data Import Wizard Fails with Violation of Primary Key Error, but there are no duplicate records.

The dev server is at SP2, the staging one is not it is still at RTM.

I'm copying all the tables from a staging instance to a dev SQL server nd saving the package to the file system.

There are no duplicates in the tables.

There are no identy Columns, the primay key is a compound key of two columns and the combinatnions are unique in the source tables.

The package does not always fail on the same table but it's always the duplicate key.

I have tried both drop and recreate options as well as with and also with out the optimize for many tables option with transation.

Has anyone found a way around this, or is this a bug in SP2?

thanks everyone!

Skål - jh

• Are there any null values in either column? in the data you're trying to bring in?

Have you tried bringing the data in first into a staging table with no constraints, and then add the primary key constraint after the import? What happens when you do that?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Thanks for the reply.

No there are no nulls in the primary key tables.

An intermediary database without keys is certainly possible, but in this case it's just a data update for some quick adhoc testing purposes and backup and restore seems faster then the development time for that.

It is a good idea though, thank you.

My other big concern is if it could be a bug in SP2, which we are testing on the Dev box, hence this data import.

much appreciated!

Skål - jh

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply