Data Import from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005

• Hi,

I will be needing some data from sql 2000 version to export to sql 2005.

Last time , I did manually, like went into sql 2005 open the db, tasks, import data from sql 2000...

It worked fine.

Now the demand of the project is that I should be able to do it automatically not manually...

How can I do thru SSIS or any other possible method?

I dont know much of SSIS..

Regards,

Sushant

Regards
    Sushant Kumar
    MCTS,MCP

• SSIS can move data around as much as you want, but if you are new to the product you are going to have to spend some time getting up to speed and then come back with more-specific questions.

Referring to 'some data' is also a bit nebulous. One table or hundreds of tables? Tens of rows or trillions? All data, or a selection? Just INSERT or INSERT-and-UPDATE required?

Also, as this is SQL Server to SQL Server, have you considered using just T-SQL?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin (4/14/2011)

SSIS can move data around as much as you want, but if you are new to the product you are going to have to spend some time getting up to speed and then come back with more-specific questions.

Referring to 'some data' is also a bit nebulous. One table or hundreds of tables? Tens of rows or trillions? All data, or a selection? Just INSERT or INSERT-and-UPDATE required?

Also, as this is SQL Server to SQL Server, have you considered using just T-SQL?

Thanks for replying..

My whole purpose of doing is that I want data from 2 tables in sql 2000, there is a join arnd 50k rows of data are imported back to sql 2005..

But even after that I have more work to do as I want to save it as a package and then do a lot of t sql stuff in sql 2005 for getting the output..

So, I want to put all these, in a ssis package whcih i can run from sql server agent jobs...

Regards,

Sushant

Regards
    Sushant Kumar
    MCTS,MCP

• I think I am getting near to the answer of my own question...:-P

Regards
    Sushant Kumar
    MCTS,MCP

• SKYBVI (4/14/2011)

I think I am getting near to the answer of my own question...:-P

So far, you haven't mentioned anything that can't be done in a stored proc ...

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin (4/14/2011)

SKYBVI (4/14/2011)

I think I am getting near to the answer of my own question...:-P

So far, you haven't mentioned anything that can't be done in a stored proc ...

How can i import data from sql 2000 within a stored proc?

Regards,

Sushant

Regards
    Sushant Kumar
    MCTS,MCP

• Have you tried connecting to the 2000 instance from within 2005 Management Studio? Once that's in place (use a linked server), you can just use standard queries to move data around.

• Phil Parkin (4/15/2011)

Have you tried connecting to the 2000 instance from within 2005 Management Studio? Once that's in place (use a linked server), you can just use standard queries to move data around.

Linked server is not working...:(

Regards,

Sushant

Regards
    Sushant Kumar
    MCTS,MCP

• What provider did you choose and what error message did you get? Please copy/paste the exact text.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply