Data from SQL 2000 to Progress9.1d

• hi

Colud someone help me in following:

we are building new system with VB6 and SQL 2000 (backend database). we need to send data from sql 2000 to Progress database (version: 9.1d). i tried text file, it works.

Is there any other way to transfer data from SQL 2k to Progress 9.1d?

Thank you

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• To have Progress access SQL Server databases, I believe you need to run the MS SQL Server Dataserver on the Progress Server.

If you have a stable ODBC connection to the Progress database, you should be able to use DTS to pump the data across. We pull data from Progress everyday using DTS.

Your other option would be to have DTS pump the data out into a text file, then have a Progress $GL script on the other end that imports the data from the text file.

Hope this helps

Phill Carter

--------------------

Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

--------------------

• Thanks Phill,

we are using Progress Database on Unix platform and MS SQL on Windows 2000 server.

Would it be possible?

• Nothing is impossible, sometimes highly unlikely, other times very convoluted, but never impossible.

We also have Progress on Unix and SQL Server on Windows. We have an ODBC connection to the Progress database which is used to created a linked server in SQL.

When live data from the Progress Database we just use the T-SQL OPENQUERY statement. Nightly we run a suite of DTS packages that connect to the Progress Database using the same ODBC link, and import data for nightly reports.

As you can see this is all reading data from Progress. We don't have access to write data to the Progress Database, but that is a licensing issue with the provider of the application that uses the Progress Database.

What sort of access do you have to the Progress Server? Are you able to write data to the database? If not, are you able to develop an import process?

Hope this helps

Phill Carter

--------------------

--------------------

• hi Phill

your reply was very helpful, thank you.

we don't the process at the moment. what we are trying is:

VB 6 front end and SQL 2K back database. then we need to send this data to other department. In other department they use Progress front end and Progress database as back end. Once they finish their work, they send data back to our SQL 2K database. so currently we don't have any access to Progress database but we need in feature to complete above tasks. I am thinking we need read-write access as both databases need to read data and then write.

you said in your first reply i need "MS SQL Server DataServer on Progress Server", do i need to buy SQL dataserver separately or this is come with Progress server?

• SQL Server Dataserver is an additional product, which of course you have to purchase

Take a look at

http://www.progress.com/v9/datasheets/dataservers.htm

Hope this helps

Phill Carter

--------------------

--------------------

• We use Progress9 with OpenLink 4.0 drivers. OpenLink provides ability to set up ODBC DSN to the UNIX box and act as if it were any old data store...licensing is per seat @ $99, but it sounds like you might only need 1. The have a 30-day eval version...

Site:

http://www.openlinksw.com

--

HTH,

Jay

• Hello,

I believe (though I am not an expert) Progress has released or is due to release an ODBC driver called Meredant.

J

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply