Data Collector

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Data Collector

• The question was specific to configuration data, so shouldn't msdb be the only correct answer?

• I didn't see the answer in the link provided. I found this:

"The data collector stores data in two places: msdb and the management data warehouse."

On this page:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb677355.aspx

• I agree. If the question is:

Where is the configuration data stored for the Data Collector in SQL Server 2008?

From the link provided:

Storage

The data collector stores data in two places: msdb and the management data warehouse.

...but,

msdb System Database

The data collector uses msdb for storing configuration information, run-time information, auditing, and collection history information. This database must be present on the instance of SQL Server that runs the data collector. Using msdb provides the following benefits:

All the data needed to configure and run the data collector is in one location.

I believe msdb is the only answer.

• msdb should be the correct answer according to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb677355.aspx. That is where the configuration data is stored.

Brian RL: Be serious about your work, but do not take yourself too seriously {Philip A. Fisher}

• I guess I'm a little hazy on the difference between "information" and "data".:)

Seriously, the proper answer probably should be msdb. My presumption is that he was trying to differentiate between the data the "configuration" is designed to capture, and the data that defines the configuration, i.e. configuration metadata.

"Beliefs" get in the way of learning.

• Based on the way I worded the question, msdb is the only answer, and my apologies for the error.

I have awarded back all points to this time on this.

I meant to ask for "data" in the question and not configuration data. This was a case of me having the answers written first and confusing myself with the question.

Configuration data is in msdb, other data is in the DBW. I have removed configuration from the question so that both answers are correct.

• The question is still confusing. The question now is where is the data stored? Well data is not configuration so the answer now should be the MDW only, but that rings up wrong.

Can not win for loosing on this one.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

• You're right. How about this?

Where is the data stored for the Data Collector in SQL Server 2008? (configiuration, collector sets, and metric data points)

• I agree, the question was confusing as the term "data" was not clearly defined

I picked MDW since I just tested this feature last week

As far as I am concerned, it does not store the "collected data" in msdb

It stores the config and SQL jobs in msdb, but that is not "data" of Data Collector

SQLServerNewbieMCITP: Database Administrator SQL Server 2005

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply